Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you say to requests.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-say-requests-t239275.html)

cathyvv 01-20-2014 07:17 PM

I agree with Lori's approach. However, you could, if so inclined, buy a couple of yards of a large Avenger print fabric, border it with a fabric from your stash that coordinates with it, use muslin backing and quilt it. The sandwiching, quilting and binding would take the most time. This approach minimizes the time invested by you in making it.

I made Pokemon pillow cases for my 'grands' and they were absolutely thrilled to get them. (Pokemon fabric is impossible to find, so that's all I could make them!) My guess is these two little boys would be just as thrilled with Avenger pillowcases, and pillow cases are much faster and less labor intensive than a quilt.

Shelbie 01-20-2014 08:29 PM

My standard response is always "Thank you so much for thinking of me but my commitments right now just won't let me make you the kind of quilt you want. You certainly deserve a quality product and you might ask my guild buddy Mary who does beautiful commissioned work." This line has never failed me yet.

Peckish 01-20-2014 08:46 PM

My friend Cindi's standard response (and it's actually true!) is:

"I only take 2 commission quilts a year, and I'm booked for the next 2 years." She'll sometimes explain that she only does 2 a year due to demands of job/family/etc. It works and no one's ever been upset.

JustAbitCrazy 01-20-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6524572)
I made a quilt ( Queen size ) for an estranged family member, and instructed my daughters this person was to be given the quilt in the event of my death. My daughters talked me into giving it to the person now saying" you never know what doors this might open and this just might make things better. So I gave it to my oldest daughter to give to this person. No doors were opened, no phone calls made, and I did not even get a Thank you. I am ok with this though, I opened the door, more than that I can not do.

Wow. Too sad, Jackie.

Nammie to 7 01-20-2014 11:51 PM

Remember the phrase "just say no". I've had so many people ask me to make them quilts, telling me it would be so simple and wouldn't take much time. I just tell them I've got so many projects lined up it isn't possible. One who persisted and wanted a specific quilt was told the price would be $1500.00. She decided it wasn't worth it.

jbingwell 01-21-2014 03:20 AM

I enjoy sewing and quilting. If a family member or close friend wants to pay for the fabric, I'll make them a quilt. After all, most of us make charity quilts, don't we? Even if I did not want to make one for the mother, I'd make it for the kids. (actually, been there, done that)

carolaug 01-21-2014 03:48 AM

I agree with Margeret. Most will never ask again once you offer to help them make one. The ones that do...well its always awesome to create a new quilter.

Originally Posted by MargaretH (Post 6524556)
Why not offer to guide her into making them herself. My sister and SIL do this via skype

Sandygirl 01-21-2014 03:59 AM

I like the pillowcase idea. Short and sweet and the kids will love it just the same.

i once made a raffle quilt for a local museum, of hot air balloons. One mom called me to see if I would make one for her daughters' Christmas gift. Her daughter loved the quilt so much. I regretfully declined BUT I offered to make one quilted block for her daughter and I only asked for a $35, tax deductible donation to the museum, not to me. Mom was thrilled! And later told me that the daughter told her class that this was her favorite Christmas gift! I was thrilled! My avatar is one of those blocks. They are large and make a great wallhanging or table topper. Sometimes thinking out of the box satisfies others.

sandy

Aurora 01-21-2014 04:17 AM

I do not mend and I do no sew for others. My sewing is for fun.

Vat 01-21-2014 04:26 AM

I, jokingly say, "You can't afford me". But I truly mean it.