Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you say when you give a gift, and reciepiant says (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-say-when-you-give-gift-reciepiant-says-t207017.html)

Gabrielle's Mimi 11-28-2012 05:35 PM

I had a funny one last week...I was looking at a house that was for sale and the owner said when she heard that I was a quilter, "oh, how quaint!" What do you say to that??? Maybe I look like an antique!

Scakes 11-28-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5681881)
Well if they say it looks professional, that 's a compliment and I say "thank-you". If anyone gives me stuff I don't want or need, again I say thank-you and donate it to a charity shop.

My thoughts exactly. :)

FabricHeaven 11-28-2012 08:17 PM

I have similar thoughts to bearisgray. I have a good friend for whom I would love to make a quilt. What holds me back is that he has become a hoarder and it appears that everything in his house is just one huge pile of clutter. Somehow, I don't think a quilt would be valued, but I do know that my friendship is.

Rose_P 11-29-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5682674)
If someone offers me fabric...
I try to figure out if they hope to see it turned into something OR if they just want to pass it on.
Generally, they just want it gone from their house. So, I say "thank you, if I can't find a use for it, I know people that can." That way, I'm not committing to me actually using it. AND, I do find people that want/need it.

As for the "it looks professional"... I would take that as a compliment and leave it at that.

I think this is the best way to handle the fabric issue, if you don't want to outright refuse it. If the term "professional" bugs you, I see nothing wrong with asking - with a grin! - "Do you mean like the mass produced stuff you see in stores?! - I was hoping to do better than that!" If people aren't confronted about their assumptions, they are not going to change, and sadly, a lot of people still have the idea that home sewing of any sort is something people do just to save money, which couldn't be farther from the truth these days.

NCannie 11-29-2012 06:08 PM

I understand what you mean. Last week during our Thanksgiving get together I gave one of my relatives a quilt I had made for her. Another relative asked me if I quilted it or had it quilted for me. Implying that if you only do the top you're not a real quilter and therefore it's not a real quilt. I was dumbfounded and somewhat angry.

Bamagal 11-29-2012 06:31 PM

I once got "oh wow!! Looks like it came from Pottery Barn!" I had to laugh!! I think it was a compliment!!

skowron5 11-29-2012 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a couple of friends visiting and one asked to see some of my work. I got out this wallhanging and the other one said is that one of those panels you just sew around? I couldn't believe she would say that before looking at it to see it was all pieced and appliqued. Needless to say I won't be showing her any more of my work.

Bamagal 11-29-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5688610)
I had a couple of friends visiting and one asked to see some of my work. I got out this wallhanging and the other one said is that one of those panels you just sew around? I couldn't believe she would say that before looking at it to see it was all pieced and appliqued. Needless to say I won't be showing her any more of my work.

Wow!! This is gorgeous!

Zyngawf 11-29-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5688610)

I'm thinking she may have thought it looked to perfect to be pieced.

Zyngawf 11-29-2012 07:06 PM

Now that I have this new passion for quilting I think they are just going to be piling up at my house. I don't have any quilt worthy family or friends. Some of the very best kind hearted people in the world are not quilt worthy.