Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you store your fabric in and would you change it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-store-your-fabric-would-you-change-t105319.html)

mcdaniel023 03-06-2011 03:36 AM

I had mine in those rolling plastic drawer units. I bought a vintage china cabinet and am in the process of refolding and putting my fabric in it. So far I love the look. The folding, not so much.

emerald46 03-06-2011 04:05 AM

I am watching for a couple of barristers...love the look.

meemersmom 03-06-2011 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Rubbermaid basket bins I got thru WM.com. They are reasonably priced. I bought 4 originally. The plan was to have one drawer for each color, with a drawer for 30's, batiks, and cat fabrics. I now have 12 units (for a total of 60 drawers!!), and could use one or two more. It really helped me out when I got all my fabric together from bins and boxes and folded it to fit -- I got to revisit some old favorites I forgot about, and I also got a good idea of what I had too much of and what I needed more of. I included a pic of one row w/ my big ironing board on top of them. Keeps fabric visible and keeps the cats from getting into it. This is the best solution I have come up with so far (other than custom cabinetry, which I would never be able to afford!!). I may one day make "curtains" for them and attach w/ velcro. One day...sigh...

DA Mayer 03-06-2011 04:43 AM

I would like a narrow taller shelf or glass doored shelving unit to replace the bookshelf.

roserips 03-06-2011 09:36 AM

The last house I lived in there was a small bedroom that I turned into my fabric store room. I put shelves around all the walls and used it just to store my fabric in, that way my work room was for sewing and it kept things a lot neater. I wish I still had that extra room.

roserips 03-06-2011 09:37 AM

The last house I lived in there was a small bedroom that I turned into my fabric store room. I put shelves around all the walls and used it just to store my fabric in, that way my work room was for sewing and it kept things a lot neater. I wish I still had that extra room.

AliKat 03-06-2011 10:47 AM

I live in a 2 bedroom home ... well really a 1 bedroom and a studio home - the studio is what was the large master bedroom. [Since I only sleep and read in bed, so why do I need a big bedroom? I'm in the studio when I am awake and love the openess there.]

I bought the IKEA Antonius system and then double stacked one in a closet and the other one is under my embroidery machine table which I also bought at IKEA as I can alter the height of the table to fit my needs. I don't sit while using the embroidery machine by use either my sewing machine, HQ, or my computer while the emb machine does its thing.

ali

Jennifer22206 03-06-2011 10:52 AM

I keep mine in the 9 cube shelve organizers you can get at target. I have 2 of them.. could probably use another one.

SherriB 03-06-2011 10:56 AM

I keep my fabric in 2 cabinets with doors on them. They are the Sauer (sp?) tall cabinets that you can get from Walmart, Target, etc. I would love to have one more cabinet to really organize my fabrics better.

MadQuilter 03-06-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
Right now I have my fabric in tubs, but it is hard to see what I've got.

Me too. Mine are in the cabinets and I have to remember where each color is or there is a lot of door-opening until I find the right bin.