Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-best-brand-sewing-machine-t300158.html)

KalamaQuilts 10-12-2018 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8141927)
I’m looking around for a second machine to take to classes and it got me to thinking;

what do you think is the best brand of sewing machine and why?

Light is good! One reason the vintage Singers that are aluminum 301 and 404 for instance, are popular, about 15 pounds. And the Featherweight is a long time favorite. I sold my Featherweight and bought an Eversewn and I'm thrilled with it. It is about 15 pounds.
My friend swears by her Janome Jem. I think the Jem has been updated to numbers as far as name

PamelaOry 10-12-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8141993)
I agree with Patrice (aka cashs mom) that everyone’s sewing needs are quite different and you are sure to get many responses based on what is working best for them. You should make a list of items that you want or need on a machine for traveling to classes and start from there. I have two Janomes and a Bernina...love both brands but if I were looking for a smaller machine for classes I would find enough features on a small Janome at a lot less money than a Bernina and I’m sure Brother, Singer, Pfaff and all the rest have light weight machines too. What machine are you using in your sewing room Pamela?

i have a brother dream machine. It is big. I can pack it up but it’s a real pain to take to classes and it doesn’t handle heavy layers as well as I would like.

Dolphyngyrl 10-12-2018 12:56 PM

There is no such thing as a best brand all brands have their own specialties and their own deficits as well. There are almost things I like different in every brand I have sewn on, but having sewn on practically every brand I did learn that I am a babylock brother girl. I wouldn't mind having a viking or janome or pfaff on the side but can only afford one. Many think bernina are the best and I couldn't stand the 5 or 7 series m a chines I used. I am sure they are lovely for someone else but they are just not for me. Every sewer is different and loves different fewture. Some can't live without IDT on pfaff. I did like it but that was the only thing I liked on pfaff, for me can't see paying thousands for the one feature. Viking had the best stitch quality of any machine I have used but I absolutely hate the hover feature that some so dearly love. So really every brand has a high quality machine that many love. What makes it the best is when you personally bond with it not the brand. You will get a different opinion from everyone as to why their machine is best

NZquilter 10-12-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8142044)
Had several. One a Viking computerized, in the closet now broken and unable to get it fixed. My favorite is my very cheap-- $100.00 mechanical Singer Heavy Duty. Had it for a couple of years and it just keeps stitching along. Great machine. Not fancy, but reliable.

I had one of those Singers. It died on me after only 10 projects. It will be the last new Singer I will buy.

Rhonda K 10-12-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8142150)
I have a brother dream machine. It is big. I can pack it up but it’s a real pain to take to classes and it doesn’t handle heavy layers as well as I would like.

Pam, Do you use the walking foot for the heavy layers? I use the WF to attach binding with no problems. What fabrics are you sewing?

It is hard to get these machines packed up for class especially the arm bag too. Wish they had better roller wheels. the new models have swivel ones. I keep trying to figure how to change the wheels. LOL.

ruby2shoes 10-12-2018 01:43 PM

My local brand dealer is less than impressive IMO so apart from purchasing the machine I don't use them for support at all. I love the Juki brand so much that "support" doesn't come into my decision, I buy the machine I feel happiest with.

meyert 10-12-2018 01:51 PM

I have 2 Janomes and I love them both

Austinite 10-12-2018 02:08 PM

I tend to like Janome and Juki but the lines are pretty blurred cause for example Elna makes Janome (or Janome makes Elna) and many others like that. Go try various brands and see what works for you!

PamelaOry 10-12-2018 02:13 PM

Yeah, I use the walking foot and that makes it better. With bag making it’s hard to maneuver as much as is needed with the walking foot on sometimes. I sew cork and other specialty fabrics. I know what you mean about the wheels! As much as those machines/bags cost you would think the wheels would be better.

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8142238)
Pam, Do you use the walking foot for the heavy layers? I use the WF to attach binding with no problems. What fabrics are you sewing?

It is hard to get these machines packed up for class especially the arm bag too. Wish they had better roller wheels. the new models have swivel ones. I keep trying to figure how to change the wheels. LOL.

PamelaOry 10-12-2018 02:18 PM

What is IDT?

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 8142233)
There is no such thing as a best brand all brands have their own specialties and their own deficits as well. There are almost things I like different in every brand I have sewn on, but having sewn on practically every brand I did learn that I am a babylock brother girl. I wouldn't mind having a viking or janome or pfaff on the side but can only afford one. Many think bernina are the best and I couldn't stand the 5 or 7 series m a chines I used. I am sure they are lovely for someone else but they are just not for me. Every sewer is different and loves different fewture. Some can't live without IDT on pfaff. I did like it but that was the only thing I liked on pfaff, for me can't see paying thousands for the one feature. Viking had the best stitch quality of any machine I have used but I absolutely hate the hover feature that some so dearly love. So really every brand has a high quality machine that many love. What makes it the best is when you personally bond with it not the brand. You will get a different opinion from everyone as to why their machine is best