Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-best-brand-sewing-machine-t300158.html)

PamelaOry 10-11-2018 06:49 PM

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

I’m looking around for a second machine to take to classes and it got me to thinking;

what do you think is the best brand of sewing machine and why?

cashs_mom 10-11-2018 06:57 PM

I think that's a very subjective question. Everyone looks for and likes something different in a machine. Everyone uses their machines differently. For me, it's Bernina. Best machnes I ever had were Bernina's but they aren't for everyone. That's why there are so many brands out there.

Sheri.a 10-11-2018 07:05 PM

I have been very lucky with Janome since I started sewing again about 8 years ago. I had a 25 year old electronic Singer that died and went to a shop that sold many brands. They believed that Janome was a good solid machine so I went with it - the 3160. After I brought it home my husband suggested I make something just in case anything was going to go wrong. I decided on a quilt. Sewing with that machine was so nice -- I loved it!! That started me on my current path of quilting as much as I can. I still use the machine for classes, but have upgraded a few times since then -- all Janome's.

I have had excellent luck with Janome's and can only remember one time having a tension issue that the dealer resolved. I also like that the motor is quieter than other machines I have tried, It's a good value for my money.

I have 2 Janome dealers close to me and I believe having a dealer you can go to should weigh heavily in your decision.

maryb119 10-11-2018 07:12 PM

I'm a Pfaff girl. Love my Pfaff with duel feed. It sews and embroideries beautifully. I have owned a Pfaff for 25 years.

TeresaA 10-11-2018 07:55 PM

I am a Pfaffie too. And my Pfaff is also 25 years old! -- a 7550, one of the last made in Germany Pfaffs. I pray that my machine will remain reliable forever. I don't know what I'd get if it died. I agree with those who feel it's subjective. How long is an appropriate length of string? It depends on who you ask and why you're asking ;-).

I think a machine that does the functions you need and that you feel comfortable and "bond" with because it does everything predictably for YOU is the best machine. The brand doesn't really matter.:) I've seen gems and duds in every brand. And even paying more doesn't mean you'll get the best machine. Make sure and read loads of reviews before deciding.

Tiggersmom 10-11-2018 08:00 PM

I own 3 Babylock Elizabeths and one Crescendo. When I owned a Bernina 153QE I took it to quilting groups as I do now with one of my Elizabeths. I don't want to sew on a different machine at a class than I do at home.

Prism99 10-11-2018 08:04 PM

I love my 20-year-old Bernina 1230 but as the saying goes, "they don't make them like that anymore." The new Berninas have way more features than I want or need in a sewing machine, not to mention the cost. Back in the day it was a stretch for me to pay what I did for the 1230. If Bernina had a simpler machine made in Switzerland I might consider it, but now their only machines made in Switzerland are the priciest ones.

sewbizgirl 10-11-2018 08:24 PM

I'm quite happy with my Jukis... a 2010Q and a 2200QVP longarm. Before Juki I used my Bernina 830 Record as my main machine... for like 30 years! It still works well and I love it. I have old Singers too. They are simple, dependable and strong and they stitch beautifully.

quiltingcandy 10-11-2018 08:55 PM

I love my Viking/Husqvarna Designer Topaz and my Janome MC6600P and , my Singer 15-91, and my Singer Featherweight, and my Damascus (treadle) and last my little Europro. The Europro was the one I got to take places - light weight and if something happened to it I wouldn't have to kill someone. But I do travel to my friend's home in Phoenix with my Viking if we are going to do machine embroidery. My 15-91 is in a cabinet, so doesn't travel but very fun to use. My Featherweight travels well, but I got it years after I got the Europro. So it depends on what I am going to do depends on which machine I take.

So it all depends on what you want it to do.

craftyjulz 10-12-2018 01:53 AM

I’ve used Singers, & Brothers way back in high school in the 80’s & then bought a Husqvarna Viking back in 2005 that I never really liked. Now I finally have a “new to me” Bernina 440QE & I love it. I had tried other people’s machines at a quilt store that has since closed down & fell in love with the Berninas. I’ve heard good things about Pfaff & Juki too but I knew I wanted a Bernina. I even like the way they sound when they sew, like everything is quality. Good luck on your hunt.