Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-converting-living-room-sewing-room-t104605.html)

Keeps Them In Stitches 03-04-2011 10:47 PM

Sounds like a perfect solution to me. Go for it :thumbup:

MerryQuilter 03-05-2011 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by MerryQuilter

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I think there's several members on here that do the same thing. I've thought about it too(instead of one of the extra bedrooms I'm using now), but when you enter our home you enter the living room(our home is an open concept floor plan). Maybe I should use the family room instead.
When I lived in Indiana, my living room was completely closed in and that would have been perfect for a sewing room.
If your DH suggested it then go for it!!!

I couldn't do it if it was the first thing saw when enter house. Would look to messy, just normal sewing. We purposely bought this house because it does not have a formal living room rather a great room, that we live in.Which we love as it has exposed beams and high ceiling. I sew in finished basement.

bobquilt3 03-05-2011 05:42 AM

Few of us have the luxury of a house large enough to have unused rooms. Do you really need 2 rooms to entertain? A sunny bright sewing room and a warm, inviting family room sound awfully good to me.

dorrell ann 03-05-2011 12:19 PM

Great room!

iamjanet 03-05-2011 02:18 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing now. I recently developed bone cancer in my right femur, and my sewing room had been upstairs. The stairs were becoming increasingly more difficult for me to manage, so my DH suggested moving it all downstairs into the living room. We, like you, rarely use it -- we always entertain in the family room. It has worked out very well for me. And I love having all my sewing 'stuff' so close.
Janet

Maybe1day 03-05-2011 03:38 PM

Go for it :lol:

We are building a new home, same design to previous one (we loved it so much) however we never used the formal lounge room and were almost going to take it out of the design when I jokingly mentioned it would make a great sized craft/sewing room. Hubby agreed it would and so we divided the lounge room into 3rds, two 3rds for my craft/sewing pursuits and 1 3rd as a storeroom. So now I have a hobby room, a walk in pantry and a storeroom so am one happy woman :P

Maybe1day

annette1952 03-05-2011 08:15 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Rose L 03-05-2011 08:22 PM

I did it. I have a LR with a large alcove, big enough for my LA frame and all my other sewing gear so I moved everything right on in there. Sure it shows but I'm neat and people love to see what I'm working on anyway. It's your home you should live in it the way it will work for you.

Dee 03-05-2011 08:32 PM

You could put up a stationary screen to block view. Use it. Great idea.

grammo013 03-05-2011 09:02 PM

I have been thinking about doing this to. It is only me and I hardly ever have company. And I don't care who see's it. It would make me happy.