Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-converting-living-room-sewing-room-t104605.html)

Ladyjanedoe 03-06-2011 05:45 PM

My husband asked the other day about turning a our formal living room into a music room for my new grand piano. My sewing stuff is comfortably on one side of our bedroom and I'm happy enough there. I'm still the only person without my "own" space. We may do this---but it will require moving a lot of large items including the 800 pound piano and also a very large 75 gal fish tank. I'm still mulling it over.

virgwid 03-08-2011 01:40 AM

This is exactly what I am in the process of doing right now. Never used the livingroom except for the past few years when doing home repairs and improvements as we don't have a shed or garage, so right now it looks like a hoarders room with all the construction equip, tools, paints, etc,etc. In process of dejunking and purging. Gonna make it into my quilting studio. Have one more major repair to go, which will include a closet in my master bath that will hold all the tools, paints, etc. Weird place, I know, but had to remove the tub I never used, and the space is perfect. I figure a livingroom is for living, and this is the living I intend to do for now. My son uses the formal dining room for his own personal computer/study room, but as soon as he goes away to college in the fall, that is my new gardening area - seed starting, herb growing, etc. Its your house. Live in it how it makes you happy.

mayday 03-09-2011 10:31 AM

I think you are nuts, it is v sad that a sunny room is not used, we all need a spare reception room preferably facing different aspects.

jdavis 03-20-2011 09:15 AM

I haven't done it, but I think about it ALOT!

milp04 03-20-2011 09:23 AM

Go ahead.
Pam M

milp04 03-20-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
My husband asked the other day about turning a our formal living room into a music room for my new grand piano. My sewing stuff is comfortably on one side of our bedroom and I'm happy enough there. I'm still the only person without my "own" space. We may do this---but it will require moving a lot of large items including the 800 pound piano and also a very large 75 gal fish tank. I'm still mulling it over.

Go ahead. I grew up with a baby grand and an organ in the living room. I have great memories of playing on my time when everyone was gone shopping. Just loved the time as I could play exactly what I wanted not what I had to play for practice time.

Pam M

cny_sewer39 03-21-2011 04:58 PM

I don't have an extra living room. I have one living room, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. I agree with Nike. JUST DO IT!!! LOL Since it seems to be an extra room that is not being used, you could rehome your sewing stuff. It would all be in one location. If it has an open entryway, you could make long curtains to close it off when not in there (or to hide a mess). LOL LOL LOL Good luck with your decision. Please if possible would you post some pics when its done.

debra

ljptexas 03-22-2011 03:57 AM

Hey, go for it!! It would serve a better purpose than just sitting empty & hardly ever used.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

kimscruzer 03-22-2011 03:57 AM

Do it!

pattipat 09-04-2011 06:23 PM

Sounds like a great idea.