Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of Paper Piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-paper-piecing-t294393.html)

Faintly Artistic 01-28-2018 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't enjoy a class that made you buy expensive rulers, patterns, etc. I want to know the basic techniques and do my own thing.
I have only purchased 1 pattern and was glad I did. This rooster is an Ann Shaw pattern and she does a good job explaining.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587935[/ATTACH]

Stitchnripper 01-28-2018 02:33 PM

I started with a Judy Niemeyer leaf and enjoyed it. didn't mind the cutting. then took a Carol Doak class and that book required cutting ahead of time but I did that at home. I enjoyed that too. I would do both of them again. But, I have no deadlines and I quilt for my own pleasure. both of them are ready for quilting, which I will get to.

KenmoreGal2 01-28-2018 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried it recently and liked it but......I'm not a very patient person. Paper piecing is a bit slow and I like to zoom. I found a good compromise for me was to put some paper pieced elements into a simple quilt like the one below.

I've also had success making just one copy of a paper pieced block and turning it into a yard flag or a hanging for the front door.

I'm just not patient enough to make 20-30 blocks!

I printed patterns onto some onionskin paper I had in the house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587944[/ATTACH]

cashs_mom 01-28-2018 03:40 PM

I never precut the pieces for paper piecing. Like others, I think it's a waste of time. I rather like paper piecing and will hopefully start another paper pieced project in the next few months.

Snooze2978 01-28-2018 04:38 PM

My 1st paper piecing project was Jinny Beyer's Crystal Star. Fell in love with paper piecing after that. Have only made 1 other paper piecing project but love it just the same.

hobbykat1955 01-28-2018 04:52 PM

My pp'ing

3 Attachment(s)
Love it. For Change of pace. Some of my favorites

SusieQOH 01-28-2018 05:24 PM

What a timely topic! I just bought Peggy Martin's class on Craftsy and am ready to get started.
I have all of Carol Doak's books but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I even took a class with her.Carol is an excellent teacher. It was me. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it! But now things are starting to click. So glad I kept Carol's books. And this other teacher is great so far!
What is so nice about PP is the precision you can get. I've always wanted to do a New York Beauty (my home state) which is hard to do any other way that I know of.

pocoellie 01-28-2018 06:19 PM

I love paper piecing, unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post pics.

sewingsuz 01-28-2018 08:35 PM

I have only made one table runner that was Paper Pieced. It was not so bad.

Teen 01-28-2018 08:45 PM

I started PP'ing a month ago and I started with a simple pattern. I learned the technique from YouTube,which has tons of videos on the subject. At first, I was wasting fabric but I was only making a few blocks for a pieced quilt so I wasn't concerned. Now, I know what I'm doing and just grab pieces from my scrap bag. I never got in the habit of pre-cutting but I would likely not do that anyway now that I know how to do it efficiently. So, I've made just blocks so far. I have a whole PP quilt project I'll be doing this year so we'll see how it goes. I use cheap copy paper for my foundation paper. And, there are a lot of PP patterns free on the net so that helps.