Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of Paper Piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-paper-piecing-t294393.html)

quiltingshorttimer 01-28-2018 10:22 PM

i've done a couple of projects with it. The ones where I was given directions of what size fabric needed for each part I liked much better--I had less waste too. I took a Judy Niemeyer class (not with her, but with certified instructor) this past summer--got one block done! But do plan to finish that up.

RJLinkletter 01-28-2018 10:44 PM

Paper piecing is how I first got into quilting generally because it was cheap. All you need is fabric, scissors, needle/thread and thin card as well as your pattern and there are lots of free ones online. I did a whole quilt like this - not a very good one in hindsight but nonetheless. I will try and find some pics when I get chance.

Any other equipment is optional and down to your preferred style. I never pre cut neatly ( roughly round with a pair of scissors)

Hobbykat - I love your house! Was this a pattern or a kit?

IceLeopard 01-29-2018 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Love it! This one is paper pieced, from EQ7, the Kaleidoscope collection.

ckcowl 01-29-2018 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My first Paper Piecing experience I Hated it! I found it frustrating- horribly wasteful, and difficult. Swore to never do it again— fast forward about 5 years and I came across another project. Decided to give it a second chance. Fell in love with the process and since then do a lot of Paper Piecing.
heres one of my recent projects. Stars from Carol Doak’s 50 Stars book

quilterpurpledog 01-29-2018 04:26 AM

All of the above projects are just beautiful. I especially like ckcowl's stars. Just sparkles. I like the process very much but am quite slow at it. Hope to do more in the future.

NJ Quilter 01-29-2018 04:39 AM

I also like pp'ing for the precision that you get with your finished blocks/project. Initially I had a horrible time 'getting' it so ended up taking a class at my LQS. Nowhere near as costly as yours! Pattern and fabrics only. The class was for a single NY Beauty block. I then managed to pretty much zip through the balance of that project at home - I didn't want to take the chance I would forget what I learned, lol! I think finishing the entire project soon after the class really helped to reinforce the process for me.

I've since done any number of pp'd projects. I do tend to pre-cut pieces but not very precisely. Just enough to have a reasonably oversized piece of fabric to work with for that spot. I do think the process can be a bit wasteful but the precision makes up for that for me.

ArtsyOne 01-29-2018 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend took an online class on paper piecing and came over to show me how. I quickly figured out that pre-cutting was a waste of my time. Now she doesn't pre-cut either. That said, my attention span is too short and I'm too old to paper piece an entire quilt, especially since I have to re-learn the process each and every time. I limit my paper piecing to corner blocks on other quilts, like the cactus bloom in the corners of the pink braid below.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587986[/ATTACH]

sandy l 01-29-2018 04:42 AM

That's a great idea. Good looking quilt.

grandmahoney 01-29-2018 05:05 AM

It does get easier. I just watched it on the web and learned it at home. I love how accurate it makes the block and you can use up a lot of scrapes and you can have some pretty small pieces in your pattern. I wish I knew how to post a picture because I have done blocks with over hundred pieces in them. The most important thing is always follow your numbers in the order given and follow the directions on sewing your sections together and you will do great. It is so much fun. There is a lot of free patters for paper piecing on the web. So find some easy ones and just practice using scape fabric.

MarionsQuilts 01-29-2018 05:08 AM

I love PP ... I did the bali star wedding quilt. I did pre-cut for that, but it was easy ... long strips and then rectangles. Made it easier for me to just zoom through the process. Also, it was a complicated pattern, and I needed to be really organized

I don't usually pre-cut - too much work!