Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-t52829.html)

GailG 07-05-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
a pricing policy that I was given a couple of years ago for custom quilts was $15 per finished square foot. That includes cost of material, labor, quilting, etc. If customer provides the fabric, pattern, etc, you make it a little lower. If the quilting or piecing is really complex, you can price it a little higher. If you calculate your size of 80 X 80, that comes out to about 44.4 square feet multiplied by $15/sq ft that comes to about $666 for the whole thing. From that figure, you alter the price as you see fit. Hope that helps.
=

This is good to know.

Debra Mc 07-05-2010 08:56 AM

You really need to get 20% of what the materials cost. That would be around $200.00-250.00. I wouldn't take any less. If she has the money to buy the stuff, she has the money to pay you for your time. Is it handquilted or machine?

quiltmom04 07-06-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
My aunts friend has commisioned me to make her a quilt. I'm going to use the Illinois Block, only way enlarged, to make the quilt.

The cost of the materials, 5 fabrics, thread, and batting come to 107.37. It is all from Connecting Threads.

the quilt is 80"x80".

I'm charging her 150.00

Is this too much or too little?

I am taking her money situation as well...

Sounds like you're really only charging her $43. Or is $150 on top of being reimbursed for the cost of materials? It depends on how you feel about not making very much money. If you're just doing to as a favor, but want her to feel like she's paying you, that's fine. I often do things and don't charge very much, but tell them - DON'T TELL ANYONE WHERE YOU GOT THIS! - so I'm not inundated with "jobs" from friends of friends of friends who want a quilt made as cheaply as the one they heard about! :)

stormatsea45 07-06-2010 09:29 AM

If you are quilting it you are not charging a lot. I don't know that block, so don't know how difficult it is. You will be spending a good solid week making, quilting, and binding it. If you have to pay a quilter, that could cost 60 -100 plus, depending on her. Decide if you are doing this for a friend or for profit! :)

RugosaB 07-06-2010 12:10 PM

In my opinion she's paying you to do a certain thing and will pay for that thing, it should not matter her money situation. If you want to cut her a deal because you like her, so be it, but her financial situation has nothing to do with what your time is worth. If someone who doesn't have a lot of money goes to the grocery store, they pay what everybody else pays. why should you bedifferent? Like I said, if you like her, charge less, but do it because you'd like her if she was rich too

theifner 07-06-2010 12:24 PM

I don't thin k you have charged enough

theifner 07-06-2010 12:24 PM

I don't thin k you have charged enough :-)

Bev 07-06-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
My understanding:

1) The client has purchased all the fabric and batting for an 80x80 quilt

2) You are planning to charge her $150 to make it - she doesn't have much money

3) You want a down payment of $50 now for your labor

Is this correct?
She probably is already suffering from sticker shock!

I think at this stage of your career, $150 is a fair price. You will get some experience without any financial outlay of your own -

if my understanding of the situation is correct.

I think this is a very rational way of thinking. It's exactly what I would do in the same situation, unless I happened to be a professional quiltmaker. Then the whole situation changes.

dgrindey 07-06-2010 03:18 PM

I've been told that you charge material plus 3 x's that for your time and labor, which would make it about $450.

Hobbyhorse1027 07-06-2010 03:46 PM

If I recall correctly you will be preparing to start college in a month. I hope making this will not add unnecessary stress for you. I wish you well in whatever you decide.