Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-keep-your-quilt-rolled-up-when-sewing-domestic-machine-t314610.html)

dunster 03-06-2021 06:55 AM

I used the puddling method when quilting on a DSM. For large quilts, I also quilted in sections.

QuiltE 03-06-2021 07:39 AM

Another puddler!!!

Keep in mind,
there comes a time when no matter what you do, it is impossible to quilt on a DSM.

IOW, the quilt is too big for the throat size.
If you want to keep on DIY, then it's time for a new DSM with a bigger throat.
Or look to the alternatives ....

sewbizgirl 03-06-2021 08:07 AM

Yes, try 'puddling' it instead. It's much easier to quilt around soft folds than a stiff roll.

Anniedeb 03-06-2021 09:28 AM

Sounds like many good suggestions and ideas. I tried using the rolled method and just couldn't get used to the bulky roll. I found just puddling and pushing worked best for me, given the size of the throat, and quilt.

thimblebug6000 03-06-2021 09:41 AM

When I first started I used bicycle clips to hold the roll, but have now gone to puddling as well. The bike clips are meant to hold your pants out of the chain, not even sure if they still make them, but they were metal and I still have them in my bike bag.

juliasb 03-06-2021 10:36 AM

I use bicycle clips, I bought them years ago before they started making quilting clips. They cost less too.

thepolyparrot 03-06-2021 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a "puddler" too. This is the largest quilt I made on my little Singer 15-91 - it's 120" square and quilting the middle was a bear. It takes constant shifting and rearranging to get a "clear" square foot of quilting space around the needle. There are only 7" between the needle and the pillar and sometimes my right hand was under a big wad of quilt, trying to keep the quilting area clear *and* move it around under the needle.

I learned about "puddling" on this board, if I recall and I don't even try the clips any more.

Three Dog Night 03-06-2021 12:58 PM

I don't roll my quilt, I puddle it and work on small section defined by my hands and then I reposition. Rolling the quilt takes up way too much quilting room and is more awkward for me to move.

mcadwell 03-06-2021 02:17 PM

Ok, so the general concensus is puddling when using a smaller throated domestic machine.

Guess I'll puddle along.

I was really hoping there was a magical answer out there...

rryder 03-06-2021 02:44 PM

I puddle on my domestic machines when quilting, but roll when putting the binding on and that's what I use the quilt clips for on the domestics. Interestingly, I have found rolling (and folding the rolled parts up to avoid drag) works really well on my Sweet Sixteen for quilting and is actually easier on my shoulders than puddling.

Rob