Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine? >

What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine?

What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine?

Old 03-06-2021, 03:53 AM

Default What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine?

I have a domestic machine so have to roll up my quilts to fit in the throat. And they unroll easily...too easily.

I used velcro straps to keep them rolled up when not being sewed but any ideas on how to keep them rolled up when actually sewing them?

Do you use safety pins or plastic headbands or some specialty product...?

I need to figure out something here before I start inventing (more) cusswords. Lol

Thank you.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:28 AM

I use quilt clips. Here’s the link for the ones I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Clip-Pa...s%2C154&sr=8-6

Rob
Old 03-06-2021, 04:34 AM

I didn't even know these existed. Thank you
Old 03-06-2021, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I found rolling the quilt to not work for me. It is too hard on my shoulders to keep moving the roll. I prefer to have all the quilt puddled on my table and just keep about 10 inches flat around the needle where I am working.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:14 AM

I accordian fold the part of the quilt that is on my right. It stays flat and doesn’t roll. The rest is puddled like Tartan said.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Rolling did not work for me. I spent more time rolling than quilting. I discovered puddling which seems to work better for me,. I do still have the quilt clips
Old 03-06-2021, 06:23 AM

I don't roll my entire quilt in the throat either but you can also use big binder clips to hold it closed if you want. I would recommend removing them when you stop for the day because they're pretty tight.

I also quilt on a domestic and when I'm quilting the middle, I only roll a section of the quilt and then accordion fold the rest because like Tartan, I found rolling the whole thing too cumbersome to move. It's like trying to move an entire log! So I basically make a fold about 10-12in away from my machine in all directions (except inside the throat, obviously) to make a little "frame" for myself and make it easier to move the fabric in any direction.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:25 AM

I also do the puddling method. That is where a larger throat space is important. It still can be a little struggle especially when FMQ a large quilt, but it is doable.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 AM

The throat in my Juki is 9 inches so need to roll it up and keep it rolled up somehow. I can see puddling it on the left of the machine though. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:37 AM

I still use my Janome 7318 with a 6.5in throat quite a lot and having quilted several King and Queen quilts on it, you are absolutely right that you have to roll some of it. However, I would definitely recommend unrolling and doing at least 1 accordion fold to make your life a little easier Please try it and see what you think!