Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use muslin for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-muslin-t24309.html)

JCL in FL 08-20-2009 11:32 AM

I use it for the backing of probably at least half of my quilts. It is easier to hand quilt through and it was almost always used as backing years ago. I use it as a neutral for some quilts and I print my labels for my quilts on it.Quilt police were trying to get you to buy more expensive fabric.

MelissaK 08-20-2009 11:32 AM

I use it for backing on quilts a lot. I like that I can get bigger widths and I don't have to piece. Plus if the front is very busy, it gives it a clean look on the back. The quilt I am making now, I actually used muslin for the back and it makes it look sharp. Backing for Table Runners too!

trolley station 08-20-2009 01:47 PM

I like to use a good quality of muslin for my redwork. I prefer the soft color of the muslin compared to a bright white. Also a cheaper grade of muslin, washed and dried is great for backing string quilts.

sewjoyce 08-20-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by pinkypig
Long ago in a far away land....it was not uncommon to use muslin to accent the blocks as the attached pics show. This is a Sampler Quilt I made over 20 yrs ago (yep, I'm slow, that's another story for another time) that I am hand quilting. Using the muslin was "recommended" by the ladies at the lqs - funny how time changes - LOL. The quilt guild I was in (early 80's) made blocks each month and had a drawing to see which member would recieve that monthly block, I made an extra block for myself and made a Sampler Quilt (that's part of the story)

Your quilt is just AWESOME!!!

emmy 08-20-2009 03:34 PM

I'm wondering where you're buying the bolts, and what name brand you prefer. Joann's had one recently for $20 (I think). I have purchased some for practice that was 100% cotton. I washed it and it seemed OK.
JCL and quiltncrazy where are you in FL? I'm on the SE coast, 1 hour north of the Palm Beach Airport.
Mary Ellen

kd124 08-20-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I used to use muslin a lot but now prefer tone on tone. But is you are usig muslin besure and get a good quality. There are definitely different grades of muslin. Marge

I agree. I would not use a low quality. Even with a good quality, I would wash it. I use it quite a bit for backings on quilts and all wallhangings. My sister prefers the white muslin for her quilt backs.
Edit: Sometimes muslin is used for signature quilts. It is the part of the block that is signed.

JCL in FL 08-20-2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
I'm wondering where you're buying the bolts, and what name brand you prefer. Joann's had one recently for $20 (I think). I have purchased some for practice that was 100% cotton. I washed it and it seemed OK.
JCL and quiltncrazy where are you in FL? I'm on the SE coast, 1 hour north of the Palm Beach Airport.
Mary Ellen

I'm in Daytona Beach but plan to try to go to the show in West Palm in November, you going?

Yarn or Fabric 08-21-2009 02:16 AM

I bought several yards of a thick muslin at Sirs in Fayetteville last time I was there... I'm planning on using it as batting in place mats! It is much cheaper than the thinnest batting I can find - no, I didn't think it up on my own - I read it online. Some things I would never think of - others I'm a whiz at!

pinkypig 08-21-2009 03:35 AM

than you sewjoyce, I am quite proud of it even if it has taken a long time to complete.

Feathers 08-21-2009 07:22 AM

Oh! Ahhhhhhh, how pretty. Pinkypig. Your blocks and your muslin look fantastic. forgot to mention your hand quilting. Wow!!! That looks outrageous, too. Good job.

Like others, I have used lots of muslin to back quilts. The muslin makes for a soft, soft quilt that is perfect for baby and little kids quilts. I also use the muslin for the charity quilts we make for foster kids and for our local Veteran's Hospital.