Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use muslin for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-muslin-t24309.html)

Bevanger 08-21-2009 07:28 AM

i use it for hand embroidery.

nellebelles 08-21-2009 09:20 AM

I have used muslin for lots of different things. I have used it to make a pattern for clothing which can be altered and adjusted before cutting into the expensive stuff. I've used it for doll bodies as well. Also have used it for piecing and backing, and for practice for machine embroidery and FMQ. I made a double wedding ring quilt, pieced and quilted entirely by hand--I used muslin for the centers of the rings and also for the backing. It turned out beautiful.
I've found that you can buy some muslin really cheap and it doesn't look too bad until you wash it. Some of the really cheap stuff shrinks and wrinkles so badly after washing that it won't smooth out no matter what you do to it. I would suggest that before buying an entire bolt of muslin, that you purchase a small piece of the exact same kind and put it through the washer and dryer and then see how it turns out.

shaverg 08-21-2009 09:40 AM

Pinkypig, your quilt is beautiful and the muslin really sets off you hand quilting. That is one of the reasons I love muslin, especially for hand quilting.

pinkypig 08-21-2009 09:57 AM

thank you, that was one of the reasons for using the muslin, the backing is a white muslin and I am using different color quilting thread so that the outline of each block shows.

emmy 08-21-2009 10:20 AM

Judy, If I read under your name, I would have seen that!!! What show in West Palm? I did not see anything posted at our LQS. Forgot how to post a private message. I think I need coffee.
Mary Ellen

Haleiwahulagirl 08-21-2009 10:54 AM

As most of the others have said, I've used muslin for the back of my hand stitching projects, Hawaiian quilt pillows. It makes for a nice material to sandwich the batting in, because in the end, I always use a nicer fabric to make the back of the pillowcase--> the muslin won't be visible anyway.

Gwyn 08-21-2009 11:01 AM

I am inexperienced too. I use muslin for backing and sometimes as a background fabric. I also use muslin to make patterns that fit correctly. (I sew lots of wedding dresses and formals, as well as clothing for my family and extended family). That is why I am scrap-happy :wink:

The Babe 08-21-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
I bought several yards of a thick muslin at Sirs in Fayetteville last time I was there... I'm planning on using it as batting in place mats! It is much cheaper than the thinnest batting I can find - no, I didn't think it up on my own - I read it online. Some things I would never think of - others I'm a whiz at!

Never would have thought to use muslin as batting! You learn something every day. Do you hand-quilt using the muslin as batting and do you pre-wash? Also what brand of muslin do your prefer?

Yarn or Fabric 08-21-2009 01:53 PM

I did prewash my muslin and I have to be honest when I say I have absolutely no idea what brand it is... Sirs had muslin on sale for a fantastic price and I picked out the thickest that they had :)

AnnaF 08-21-2009 04:48 PM

I use Ecology Cloth which is a higher grade of muslin that I get from New England Quilt Supply. I recently ordered 3 - 40 yd bolts..sold 1 bolt to a friend, and sold 3/4 of another bolt to another quilting buddy and kept one bolt for my cousin and me to use on a vintage looking quilt we're both making ..will use it on the top for the "plain" blocks and also will use for backing..There definitely are different grades so buyer beware..the cheap stuff at Joanns is not what I'd put in a quilt for sure but I have used it in the past to make pillowcase quilt storage pillowcases that I gave to each customer I quilted for. I may use some of the extra I have of the Ecology cloth and whip some of them up..clients loved them..easy and quick with a serger. I always use my Logo stamp to remind them of me..LOL
Anne