Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use to tie? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-tie-t63418.html)

Zephyr 09-08-2010 10:54 AM

I use three strands of embrodery thread and then I tie a square knot plus one extra knot for good measure. I tie mine on top and try to have the knots blend in with the quilt colors. I only leave the tails about a half inch or so long.

Kitsie 09-08-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I use three strands of embrodery thread and then I tie a square knot plus one extra knot for good measure. I tie mine on top and try to have the knots blend in with the quilt colors. I only leave the tails about a half inch or so long.

Mine are 1/2" or so, too. A good knot is the "surgeon's knot" where you wrap the left thread over the right TWICE. That keeps it from loosening while you do the right over left.

Zephyr 09-08-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Originally Posted by Zephyr

Mine are 1/2" or so, too. A good knot is the "surgeon's knot" where you wrap the left thread over the right TWICE. That keeps it from loosening while you do the right over left.

Thanks, that sounds like a great knot!!

Rowan8 09-08-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Originally Posted by Rowan8
What is a 'tied' quilt?

Google- images- "Hand tying a quilt". It's just what it says, tying little knots at various intervals instead of "quilting" the top. Many great pictures there!

Ahh thank you. :D

Marie Rogers 09-08-2010 12:33 PM

I usually use floss. I have even used two colors together for a different look. I had trouble pulling the perle cotton through the quilt. The yarn lasts but does not look as good after many washings. I do have one my Grandmother tied with yarn 50+ years ago, too. The yarn is in almost a ball.

Marie Rogers 09-08-2010 12:34 PM

The surgeon's knot is easy to do with a pair of hemostats. Saves the hands & fingers.

shamrock 09-08-2010 12:53 PM

I tried that surgeons knot last time with no success, maybe I'll try agin.

ggquilter 09-08-2010 01:33 PM

I like a doubled strand of Crochet cotton. There are lots of colors and it stays tied and doesn't get ratty looking in the wash. I use a size that is not too large that will be easy to thread on a darning needle and that will be easy to pull through the fabric when it is doubled.

badger 09-08-2010 02:00 PM

I tied my first quilt with yarn, in 1982 -- it has been used daily since and have had no problem. Will also tie the one I am working on now.

vjengels 09-08-2010 02:05 PM

I prefer the perle cotton too, love the look of embroidery floss,and like to use it to hand quilt big stiches on something scrappy, I find the embroidery floss is too slippery to stay tied.