Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the downside to Muslin??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-downside-muslin-t58356.html)

PiecesinMn 08-08-2010 04:27 AM

I like to use muslin. Especially nice if you want the look with your 30's fabric of a 30's style quilt. You do need to be sure your are buying good quality muslin. Using muslin on your back is a terrific way to have your quilting shown off, so quilt good!!!

katier825 08-08-2010 04:28 AM

I don't mind the good muslin. But I do not like the cheap stuff. It feels like cheesecloth to me, wrinkles too much, and shrinks too much. Mostly I just like pretty prints better. I plan to start using it more now that the fabric prices have gone up so much. It will help me stretch my stash a bit.

gollytwo 08-08-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I like to use muslin. Especially nice if you want the look with your 30's fabric of a 30's style quilt. You do need to be sure your are buying good quality muslin. Using muslin on your back is a terrific way to have your quilting shown off, so quilt good!!!

I love muslin; have used in 30s quilts and also in small (6"square) 9-patches.
Bleached or unbleached - I agree with the above - buy top quality - there's one called Quilter's Muslin that's good.

Would not use as my back unless someone else was doing the quilting - mine is definitely not good enough to show off.

RevPam 08-08-2010 04:44 AM

I am using muslin for my cathedral windows.

tortoisethreads 08-08-2010 05:15 AM

I bought some mid range muslin and have really enjoyed it for backings. It is very soft and compliments my love of replicating antique quilts.

gail-r 08-08-2010 05:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first embroideried quilt I made was Simon's Folly, and I thought I had to follow the book, so the book said to use either calico or muslin for the blocks. So, I thought that calico would take away from the embroidery so I bought 200 TC muslin for the blocks and cheaper wide muslin for the back. I will never do that again, the cheap muslin stretched as I was trying to quilt it, so I ended up taking the quilting out and re-washing the backing in very hot water and drying on the highest dryer temp. Then I re-did the quilting. As an end result, I now have some waving in the center block. This is the quilt that took me 3 years to figure out how to re-hoop and get everything lined up just perfect. Some time later I found out that in Aus. the terms used for cotton is calico or muslin. I'll attach a couple of pic's so you can see what I'm talking about.

Hugs, Gail

lfw045 08-08-2010 06:02 AM

Beautiful quilt.......I use the Muslin that is permanent press, 100% cotton and 90" wide from Walmart. It is so soft when it is washed.....love that stuff! So much so that I have 2 bolts that I special ordered from Walmart. You can do that you know from the Walmarts that sell from the bolts. Just get in good with the fabric manager there.....lol.

AlienQuilter 08-08-2010 06:27 AM

I like to use minky or fleece for kids quilts. Those little stinkers like to put their little toesies through the fabric so I get something tough! For regular quilts I like to use a busy print to cover up my quilting mistakes! If you want to show off your quilting, use a plain muslin. I think it looks neat to look at the back of quilts that experienced quilters have made. I've seen some that are brave enough to use colored thread on a white muslin - looks gorgeous!

So, I think you should choose according to how the quilt will be used or quilted. In other words, it's your call.

AlienQuilter 08-08-2010 06:29 AM

Gail - don't apologize for that quilt - it's gorgeous!

kristen0112 08-08-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by gail-r
The first embroideried quilt I made was Simon's Folly, and I thought I had to follow the book, so the book said to use either calico or muslin for the blocks. So, I thought that calico would take away from the embroidery so I bought 200 TC muslin for the blocks and cheaper wide muslin for the back. I will never do that again, the cheap muslin stretched as I was trying to quilt it, so I ended up taking the quilting out and re-washing the backing in very hot water and drying on the highest dryer temp. Then I re-did the quilting. As an end result, I now have some waving in the center block. This is the quilt that took me 3 years to figure out how to re-hoop and get everything lined up just perfect. Some time later I found out that in Aus. the terms used for cotton is calico or muslin. I'll attach a couple of pic's so you can see what I'm talking about.

Hugs, Gail

It's beautiful!