Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the downside to Muslin??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-downside-muslin-t58356.html)

quilterguy27 08-08-2010 08:30 AM

That's the best part about quilting. For as many different people there are doing it, there is a different method, technique, opinion, style and taste level. That's how we learn from each other. If we all did it the same way, what would be the fun in that. No variety!! They say variety is the spice of life. Can you imagine how boring and bland life would be if we were all clones of each other?

quilter41 08-08-2010 02:25 PM

It's like buying sheets. The thread count is what matters. I personally like the Perma press the best, but tend to use QS quality fabrics most.

weezie 08-08-2010 07:10 PM

The muslin that I have is thin with a loose weave and it is not good for any part of a quilt. However, it is great for quilt frame leaders and for sealing the back of a quilt top (keeping loose threads from getting everywhere) when I need to wash it with color catchers. It's handy stuff to have around, good for quite a lot of things. I bought a whole bolt from Joann's, at half price, thinking to use it for machine embroidery practice, but I have not.

Holice 08-08-2010 07:15 PM

downside is look and difference in quality. It sometimes gives a vintage look when that is not what is needed. Many use it as backing. However, must examine to be sure you get good quality as some are thin and some have lots of starch in them and the fabric gets too limp and thin when washed.

Quiltmaniac 08-08-2010 07:44 PM

When I came here from England in 1981 I found I needed to learn a new language in some respects!

Muslin in the US = cheesecloth in the UK, and cheesecloth in the UK = muslin in the US. Don't ask me why!

In 1981, muslin (the US version) was what everyone was using to back their quilts. It was softer than the front fabric, easier to quilt by hand and showed to advantage all that beautiful hand quilting. (!)

sewnsewer2 08-08-2010 07:50 PM

I use it a lot also. I use the thicker muslin tho, never had a problem.

OneMoreQuilt 08-08-2010 07:57 PM

I used to use muslin often. I noticed, however, that when my quilts were around for awhile (10 or more years) that the muslin was wearing -- in some cases falling apart -- while the other fabrics were still in very good shape.

annette1952 08-08-2010 08:38 PM

I like muslin. I used to make dolls so I used alot of it. I haven't made a quilt with it yet but I have seen a few quilts & they are gorgeous. Like everyone said though you would want to buy the better muslin for quilts & not the cheaper stuff. I do have some bleached muslin I am going to use in a quilt. Soon as I decide on how I want to do it.

ladybug4495 08-09-2010 02:33 AM

Guess I don't understand, thought Kona muslin was Kona muslin no matter where it is purchsed.

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
The only down side I have with muslin is that is shrinks more than regular cotton, especially Kona muslin from Jo-anns. I just wash in hot water, dry and iron (press). I use it in quilt blocks.

thismomquilts 08-09-2010 03:31 AM

I use muslin often - have never thought it 'wrong' to use... I love using it for backing.