Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what was the first sewing machine you ever used (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-sewing-machine-you-ever-used-t73273.html)

litacats 10-30-2010 02:19 PM

I learn't to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with camms for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my childrens clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my bernette, AND now my husky YAY

max's grandma 10-30-2010 02:21 PM

I learned to sew on a singer, used them until about forty years and then purchased a pffaf, and still using it.

cctx. 10-30-2010 02:21 PM

Singer.

chattykathy17 10-30-2010 02:23 PM

First used a treadle Singer in Home Ec. My mom had an electric one that I used. After I got married, dh bought me a singer. I got away from sewing for a long time,then picked it up again about 12 years ago, bought a mid priced Kenmore. Great little putt putt. In 07 I purchased a Viking Platinum 755. I loveit!

mpspeedy 10-30-2010 02:28 PM

I learned to sew by machine on my mother's Singer Featherweight. She bought it in 1936 for $125. That was a large chunk of her personal income because she was making $7 a week at the local Dime Store when she purchased the machine. She brought it to Maryland from Illinois when she married my father. My parents gave me a Capital sewing machine in it's own cabinet for a High School Graduation present. It was an early zig zag machine. Almost thrity years later I gave it to my daughter when she got her own apartment and first job after college. I sewed a lot of baby and children's clothes on that Capital as well as many a garment for myself and lots of household sewing. I bought my first Bernina in the early 90's. I now own two Bernina sewing machines, a serger and embroidery machine also Berninas and I just purchased a Brother embroidery machine. I also have a Singer Featherweight I purchased at a yardsale for $20. It was in mint condition. My Mom's featherweight went to my neices who are sisters. My mother taught both of them to sew on it.

amma 10-30-2010 02:32 PM

I learned to sew on a 1950's Singer :D:D:D

clem55 10-30-2010 02:34 PM

I first sewed on my grandmothers treadle, when I was about 5 years old. She let me try hemming on feedsacks she used for dish towels. Then it was onto electric that mom had, . In 1959 I bought my first very own, a Featherweight! Sewed on that for many years, then bought a Kenmore with cams . The next was a MC8000 that I used for 20 years, until this month when I bought a Janome9700. Love it! I gave the Kenmore to a young mother, and the MC to another young mother who is expecting her second little girl in Dec. She sews, and has a treadle right now so she is so excited to have a machine she can do "fancy" things on for the girls. I still have my Featherweight, won't part with it!!

gale 10-30-2010 02:35 PM

It was a blue singer, that's all I remember. I was born in the mid sixties and it was the seventies before I sewed anything myself so it was probably from the late 60s or so. I'm pretty sure it was my mom's machine and passed onto us girls when she got a new one.

dellareya 10-30-2010 02:36 PM

I also learned how to sew on my mothers Featherweight machine. Somehow I broke the bobbin case. I remember how angry my mother was. She actually got rid of the machine because she told me it couldn't be fixed. I've lived with guilt for 50 years. I recently asked her about it. She said she didn't have the time to sew anyhow and wanted to "teach me a lesson about being careful". Ouch.

pojo 10-30-2010 02:57 PM

Singer treadle with the long bobbins and I still have it too.