Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what was the first sewing machine you ever used

I learn't to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with camms for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my childrens clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my bernette, AND now my husky YAY

I learned to sew on a singer, used them until about forty years and then purchased a pffaf, and still using it.

Blog Entries
    Singer.

First used a treadle Singer in Home Ec. My mom had an electric one that I used. After I got married, dh bought me a singer. I got away from sewing for a long time,then picked it up again about 12 years ago, bought a mid priced Kenmore. Great little putt putt. In 07 I purchased a Viking Platinum 755. I loveit!

I learned to sew by machine on my mother's Singer Featherweight. She bought it in 1936 for $125. That was a large chunk of her personal income because she was making $7 a week at the local Dime Store when she purchased the machine. She brought it to Maryland from Illinois when she married my father. My parents gave me a Capital sewing machine in it's own cabinet for a High School Graduation present. It was an early zig zag machine. Almost thrity years later I gave it to my daughter when she got her own apartment and first job after college. I sewed a lot of baby and children's clothes on that Capital as well as many a garment for myself and lots of household sewing. I bought my first Bernina in the early 90's. I now own two Bernina sewing machines, a serger and embroidery machine also Berninas and I just purchased a Brother embroidery machine. I also have a Singer Featherweight I purchased at a yardsale for $20. It was in mint condition. My Mom's featherweight went to my neices who are sisters. My mother taught both of them to sew on it.

Blog Entries
    I learned to sew on a 1950's Singer :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I first sewed on my grandmothers treadle, when I was about 5 years old. She let me try hemming on feedsacks she used for dish towels. Then it was onto electric that mom had, . In 1959 I bought my first very own, a Featherweight! Sewed on that for many years, then bought a Kenmore with cams . The next was a MC8000 that I used for 20 years, until this month when I bought a Janome9700. Love it! I gave the Kenmore to a young mother, and the MC to another young mother who is expecting her second little girl in Dec. She sews, and has a treadle right now so she is so excited to have a machine she can do "fancy" things on for the girls. I still have my Featherweight, won't part with it!!

Blog Entries
    It was a blue singer, that's all I remember. I was born in the mid sixties and it was the seventies before I sewed anything myself so it was probably from the late 60s or so. I'm pretty sure it was my mom's machine and passed onto us girls when she got a new one.

Blog Entries
    I also learned how to sew on my mothers Featherweight machine. Somehow I broke the bobbin case. I remember how angry my mother was. She actually got rid of the machine because she told me it couldn't be fixed. I've lived with guilt for 50 years. I recently asked her about it. She said she didn't have the time to sew anyhow and wanted to "teach me a lesson about being careful". Ouch.

Singer treadle with the long bobbins and I still have it too.

I started sewing on my mothers electric Kenmore at age 8 then when I got married my first machine was another Kenmore. Upgraded every 10 yrs and finall bought my first Janome in 1995. Now have three janomes and love them all.

Blog Entries
    My Mom had a Kenmore sewing machine that my Daddy bought her when I was very young. I learned to sew a little on it. I learned most of my sewing from 5 years of Home Ec. My Mom got later got me a Kenmore sewing machine in a desk, maybe when I was 13 or 14. Loved that machine!!!!

Singer treadle in grade school, about 60 years ago.

My grandmothers' singer treadle in the early 50's. Wish I had that machine today. The thought of it brings back great memories of my grandmother.

A toy Singer. At least I think it was meant to be a toy -- must have been in the early 70s. It was white and had a red plastic case. I still have it in the basement somewhere. Wonder if it still works.

I learned to sew on my mom's Singer Slant 401. It was one of the first things she and my father purchased after they were married in 1949. They were a young military couple and she used the machine to sew curtains, table clothes, clothing, etc. I remember when I was little she also sewed all of my Barbie clothes. I hated them. All my friends had the newest of Barbie clothes that were in the stores, I had homemade clothes made out of scraps of fabric. Looking back, I was such a selfish child. All the time and effort she went to. On a bright note apparently all my friends loved the homemade Barbie clothes they used to "mix" them with their things and take them home. My mom caught on and used to search their cases before they left!

Singer treadle 1917 model 66. It was my grandmother's; handed down to my mom. She taught my sister and I both to sew. We used to take the belt off and see who could make the treadle go the fastest! Then got a Singer that I had for 30 years. Had a Pfaff; then traded up to a Baby Lock Quest that I love!!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    (my apologies: this got longer and longer! lol...)

I took home-ec in my freshman year of high school. The first semester was Sewing. I was So excited. Our first project was to make a sleeveless blouse that buttoned down the front, with Lots and Lots of Darts. I can't remember the brand of the school machines. But I remember how much fun it was to use them. Unfortunately, my seams were never straight and when I'd bring my work up to my teacher she'd say, "Rip it out and try again." By the end of the semester I was still Ripping and the material had grown quite fragile. I got an 'F' in that class. My only one ever. Just couldn't get the hang of it. lol...

In 1975, when I was 24, I bought a Singer. Can't even say what kind - I had it until I bought my bernina 180, 11 years ago. I gave it to my then daughter-in-law. Over the years, I made lots of household things on that little machine including bed comforters, duvets, curtains, dust ruffles, dolls, and of course simple clothes when my daughter was little - and I made her two Satin Gowns: one when she was 4-years-old and in a wedding; and, one for her sorority in college. When I started quilting, I used it on my first quilt. Good little machine, but didn't even have a zig zag - just Forward & Reverse. And in all those years of use, I never had it cleaned; never a drop of oil. It never occurred to me. I just used it, and it worked. (I get my bernina cleaned annually!)

I have my grandmother's Singer Treadle machine. I believe it is from when she married in 1907. I remember her sewing on it, but I've never tried. It holds an important spot in my living room, and in my heart.

I remember my great-grandmother teaching me to sew on her Singer 15-91 when I was a little kid.

After she passed away, my grandmother (her daughter) inherited her sewing machine. Over time, it was stored away in her basement. My grandmother sewed (a LOT), but had upgraded to newer machines.

My grandmother passed away earlier this year, and I inherited all of the sewing machines, including the Singer 15-91.

I treasure all of them. The Singer needs rewiring (looks like the wire casing has dry-rotted), and it needs a few minor parts, but I bet it'll still work. In the meantime, I bought one just like it off eBay so I can learn to use it until DH has a chance to fix my great-grandmother's machine. :)

Blog Entries
    I was going to say a White brand but i do remember using my mothers Singer once. she had it made electric by then though.

Blog Entries
    home ec class in the early 60's had several models. and we ended up using which ever one was open. sometimes we were lucky enough to get to use the same one several times. got used to several models that way. loved the home ec teacher. she was a wonderful lady. meant to look her up, and say thanks , but never did. it's prob too late now.

Blog Entries
    I learned to sew on a tredle machine back in the 40's. I now have a brother

Blog Entries
    I had just a generic sewing machine I bought from one of my hubby's friends. His work gave it to them for a wedding present & she didn't sew. It was brand new, did not have a name on it anywhere. I thought it took 'special' needles but little did I know that all needles worked in it! But back then I'd sew with a needle until it broke. Didn't know to change them either!

Hmmm... I think it was a blue and white 1970s Montgomery Wards machine. When I broke that one, my mom let me sew on her 1980s Pfaff. After I broke that one a couple of times, she made me go back to the old metal one. lol
    And, yes, when I say "broke" I mean every time it required a trip to the repair shop! I still won't use that Pfaff, it is her baby!

I have come a long way! I eventually sewed my oldest son's cradle and crib sets and tons of clothes and costumes and all sorts of things! It just took me a little longer to learn.

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine that my mom still has. My very first machine was a Kay-EE Sew Master childs machine that did a chain stitch. I was 8 years old and I still have that machine on a shelf in my sewing room. The first "real" machine was a Sears Kenmore that stitched only straight and zig-zag. I now have a Pfaff 2144. I've come a long ways.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast