Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM
mpspeedy

I learned to sew by machine on my mother's Singer Featherweight. She bought it in 1936 for $125. That was a large chunk of her personal income because she was making $7 a week at the local Dime Store when she purchased the machine. She brought it to Maryland from Illinois when she married my father. My parents gave me a Capital sewing machine in it's own cabinet for a High School Graduation present. It was an early zig zag machine. Almost thrity years later I gave it to my daughter when she got her own apartment and first job after college. I sewed a lot of baby and children's clothes on that Capital as well as many a garment for myself and lots of household sewing. I bought my first Bernina in the early 90's. I now own two Bernina sewing machines, a serger and embroidery machine also Berninas and I just purchased a Brother embroidery machine. I also have a Singer Featherweight I purchased at a yardsale for $20. It was in mint condition. My Mom's featherweight went to my neices who are sisters. My mother taught both of them to sew on it.