Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: what was the first sewing machine you ever used

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by dellareya
    I also learned how to sew on my mothers Featherweight machine. Somehow I broke the bobbin case. I remember how angry my mother was. She actually got rid of the machine because she told me it couldn't be fixed. I've lived with guilt for 50 years. I recently asked her about it. She said she didn't have the time to sew anyhow and wanted to "teach me a lesson about being careful". Ouch.
    Poor baby! I think I would be to scared to sew again if someone had said that to me. I don't really remember what kind of machine it was that sewed on first. I borrowed it from a friend to sew the nursery for my first baby. It didn't come with any instructions at all! Thank goodness it was already threaded with the color I needed! But that gave me the bug and I bought a cheap singer that gave me nothing but trouble. At least it got my foot in the door!

My mom and grandmother both sewed on nice singers! My mom's was a featherweight and my GM's was a 401, I think. But I never sewed on either one of them. I had to learn to sew by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    It was a blue singer, that's all I remember. I was born in the mid sixties and it was the seventies before I sewed anything myself so it was probably from the late 60s or so. I'm pretty sure it was my mom's machine and passed onto us girls when she got a new one.
    you reminded me of the name of my first singer it was a blue magic. mentioning that yours was blue reminded me,

Mom had one of those 50s Singer machines in the wooden domed carrying cases. I loved that machine and when I went off to college, my mother gave it to me as she'd just bought herself a new Brother machine. Word got around quickly that I had a sewing machine in my dorm room and that machine pretty much brought every girl in my dorm into my room at one time or another to either make repairs or make Halloween costumes. I was very shy and figure that sewing machine introduced me to most of my college friends...I wouldn't be surprised if Mom thought of that when she gave it to me!!?

It was my moms Singer. I loved that machine.

My mother wouldn't let me and my sisters touch her electric Kenmore machine. When I was 7 she bought a singer treadle at an auction for $3.00. It was for us to learn to sew on. We quickly mastered the foot peddle but we were never allowed to use her Kenmore. My sister still has the treadle. Don't know what happened to the Kenmore.

I learned to sew on a 1958 Montgomery Wards machine. I started sewing on that machine when I was about 8 or so and then my mom gave it to me when I was about 17 or 18 and I had it until I bought my Pfaff in 2000.

Treadle singer in high school 1965.
    Kenmore electric 1967.
    New singer 2008

My mom had a Cast Metal (heavy) sewing machine which we had to use at home when we took home Ec. I think it was a kenmore & it was in a cabinet. Mom was good (wanted everything perfect) to the point it wore on her nerves and she didn't enjoy sewing. She & I tried to work on her machine, I thing to adjust the tension. Took it apart put it together, you know how you end up with extra parts. Really, LOL. My sister uses it for a tall side table in her sewing room for a lamp. It never worked again, Duh, big surprise, huh? Now the first one that I bought is a Kenmore which I still have & use. Also have a Janome too like them both.

Singer treadle back in the 50's.

At 8 yrs started with mom's FW in 1950 -56 yrs later when she died it was all I wanted from estate. I had it checked by Glen Williams -Tampa -and have all original parts but oil
    can purchased this summer fits down in the case. Also have
    fixed up one of the card tables that hold the FW.
    Many machines since but now a Brother Inovis 1500D sew/ Embroidery/quilt machine and can not imagine anything better
    for the price.

My mom's old singer with the cams to change stitches. They used to sell them where my dad worked and he would demo the machines for people. Never knew if he could really sew, never saw him do it. LOL

My mom's Pfaff from 1960. She bought me a used late 1960-s Pfaff,as a gift, when DH and I got engaged . One of my daughters now uses that one.

I first sewed on my mum's Singer treadle, probably in the late 50's. It didn't have a round bobbin like today, it was a long thin bobbin..maybe called a shuttle? I remember her saying "whatever you do, don't let it go backwards" Guess what? Yep, it went backwards and broke something. I wasn't allowed near her sewing machine again for a few years. By then she had a more modern machine...another Singer treadle but with a normal bobbin :)

I learned on my little tiny children's electric Singer. I got it for Christmas was I was 8. That would have been 1964. I still have it and it still runs! Then I used my mom's Sears Kenmore. When I was 14 I won a Necchi in a contest and used that until I was in my 20's. Still have that and it still runs too! Since then I have had a Pfaff, Sears Kenmore, and my new pfaff that I won in the shophop a few years ago. Oh, and I inherited my Grandmother's Bernina. The only one that I don't have anymore is the first pfaff. I sure wish I would have hung onto that one too!

Blog Entries
    My mom's Necchi Supernova.

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    I learned to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with cams for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my children's clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my Bernette, AND now my husky YAY

A hand singer as a child - I have now been given that singer 30 something years later!

Blog Entries
    Don't know what I learned on in Home Ec...prob a Singer.
    Then bought a Sears Kenmore for DD to use in 4H.Brand new, it was $50 & I used it to make DD's clothes etc.That was my only machine for well over 20 yrs.Then got a Husquvarna & a Singer FW.
    Both were sold & my Bernina came home to live :-)

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    I learn't to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with camms for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my childrens clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my bernette, AND now my husky YAY

Blog Entries
    I learned to sew on my mother's White treadle sewing machine in the early 50s. She later purchased a Montgomery Ward electric machine, which was recently given to me by my sister, who has had it since our mother passed away. I still sew on my Singer 401A which I purchased in 1961. It is still going strong.

Those brilliant Singer Treadle machines have a lot to answer for. LOL. Me too back in the fifties./

My grandmother's 1920 Wertheim sewing machine with a shuttle bobbin. After Nan passed away Pop gave it to me.

A singer treadle in the early 60's.

Blog Entries
    I used an Alden. I know, huge brand name recognition there folks. My hubby bought it for our first Christmas together after our Dec. 19 marriage. It was old by Fingerhut I believe and the only one that had time payments at the time. We were as poor a church mice back then in 1963 and it's coming full circle I'm afraid.

i learned to sew on gram's treadle that she'd had electrified [?] the only thing she'd let me sew were flour sack dish towels[this was about1952....ugh}until i learned to sew a straight seam.well,guess what ? i never got any further !
    when my eldest daughter moved out ,i gave it to her.went to help her move & found the machine & cabinet OUTSIDE leaning against the house under the eaves !!!!!!!!!! totally ruined.it's been 34 yrs,& as you can tell,i've STILL not gotten over it !kids...........

I learned to sew on my mother's White sewing machine. Stupid me, not thinking, I gave the machine to a charity organization when I moved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast