Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
sewTinker

(my apologies: this got longer and longer! lol...)

I took home-ec in my freshman year of high school. The first semester was Sewing. I was So excited. Our first project was to make a sleeveless blouse that buttoned down the front, with Lots and Lots of Darts. I can't remember the brand of the school machines. But I remember how much fun it was to use them. Unfortunately, my seams were never straight and when I'd bring my work up to my teacher she'd say, "Rip it out and try again." By the end of the semester I was still Ripping and the material had grown quite fragile. I got an 'F' in that class. My only one ever. Just couldn't get the hang of it. lol...

In 1975, when I was 24, I bought a Singer. Can't even say what kind - I had it until I bought my bernina 180, 11 years ago. I gave it to my then daughter-in-law. Over the years, I made lots of household things on that little machine including bed comforters, duvets, curtains, dust ruffles, dolls, and of course simple clothes when my daughter was little - and I made her two Satin Gowns: one when she was 4-years-old and in a wedding; and, one for her sorority in college. When I started quilting, I used it on my first quilt. Good little machine, but didn't even have a zig zag - just Forward & Reverse. And in all those years of use, I never had it cleaned; never a drop of oil. It never occurred to me. I just used it, and it worked. (I get my bernina cleaned annually!)

I have my grandmother's Singer Treadle machine. I believe it is from when she married in 1907. I remember her sewing on it, but I've never tried. It holds an important spot in my living room, and in my heart.