Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-thing-you-ever-sewed-how-old-were-you-t47234.html)

mzsooz 05-27-2010 05:35 AM

I was 8. My dad actually taught me how to sew. I made Barbie and Troll doll clothes.

pollyjvan9 05-27-2010 05:35 AM

I think I was around 5 yrs old. My Mom was always sewing and she let me have the scraps to "sew". While cleaning out the top of a closet after she died I found the baby doll and a dress handsewn by me. I also have the Toni doll she saved and the doll dresses she made for it. I was making some of my own clothes by 7th grade. The sewing class I had to take was very boring. We made short gathered aprons.

dotcomdtcm 05-27-2010 05:54 AM

I learned at home too and then more in 7th Grade Home Ec.
But I learned the most from working at Gerta's Needlecrafts in Parsippany NJ all through high school. Anyone out there remember Gerta's? 1960's...

Scissor Queen 05-27-2010 06:03 AM

I started out learning embroidery around 5 and then hand sewing doll clothes for a couple of years. Mom let me start sewing on the machine by the time I was 8 and then I took home ec in 7th grade.

I got married at 16 and sewed or tailored most of my clothes and sewed pjs and shirts for my boys.

Charlee 05-27-2010 06:07 AM

I made Barbie clothes when I was probably 6 or 7, by hand....no machine until I was in 4H, and at age 8 or 9 I made an apron on Mom's featherweight. Didn't really do much after that...until years later.

Quilt Mom 05-27-2010 06:15 AM

When I was 8, my mom, who had been a home ec teacher, organized a group of girls from my class for a summer sewing class. We all made aprons, then other items. Good thing, too, because less than a year later, child number 5 was born in our family, and I made most of my clothes from then on!! :lol:
Boy! Was Mom planning ahead!

I go To The Sea To Breathe 05-27-2010 07:37 AM

I too sewed in home ec. first we had to do a sampler of all the embrodery stitches and that was fun and came out pretty nice, Then we had to make clown flannel pajamas. it was heavy flannel and we were living in Danvers, MA at the time and I had grown up in the deeo south. the pjs were very warm. then we learned to make creamed beets ugh.

saf45 05-27-2010 07:54 AM

maternity top on my grandmothers treadle

Grandmama Pat 05-27-2010 08:01 AM

I was about 8 years old in Girl Scouts, we made blankets for dolls and then used some kind of material where we pulled strings out around the edges to make a design and ended up with dresser scarves (remember those?) Went from there to making my own clothes because we couldn't afford new clothes. My mom taught me to sew and I also learned in Home Ec in 7th, 8th, 9th grades in school. Cooking is another subject. Never liked cooking.

Chasing Hawk 05-27-2010 08:02 AM

I was 17 and I sewed the pieces together for a 3 piece sectional sofa.
Cushions, pillows and the sofa bodies themselves.
My 1st job that came into my newly opened business.