Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What fusible products do you like the best for applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-fusible-products-do-you-like-best-applique-t299229.html)

Rhonda Lee 08-30-2018 03:32 PM

What fusible products do you like the best for applique?

I'm going to do a couple of art quilts with lots of little pieces. Need to buy fusible product. I do not have a lot of experience with this. Any info would be appreciated. I always appreciate your comments. Thank you!

osewfast 08-30-2018 04:27 PM

So long as you sew it down after fusing, I've had good luck w/ HeatnBond LITE.

The Heavy Duty HeatnBond version (red packaging) can not be sewn thru'. So both versions have their uses.

Good Luck!
Donna Mc

Krisb 08-30-2018 04:35 PM

Misty Fuse is super lightweight. It is not backed with paper. You fuse it first to the fabric you intend to use, then to the background, so it might be useful with many small pieces. Or you could glue stick the pieces, lay tulle over, then quilt. The quilting stitches hold the small pieces in place (read up on collage quilts).

gale 08-30-2018 05:17 PM

I like steam a seam 2, the lite version. I've tried many others and keep going back to this.

applique 08-30-2018 07:11 PM

I buy and use WonderUnder by the bolt. It is cheaper and I use large pieces for large quilts. All personal preference.

QuiltE 08-30-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by osewfast (Post 8118860)
So long as you sew it down after fusing, I've had good luck w/ HeatnBond LITE.

The Heavy Duty HeatnBond version (red packaging) can not be sewn thru'. So both versions have their uses.

Good Luck!
Donna Mc

There is also Heat N Bond Featherlite.
I've used both and don't notice a big difference between the two.

RhondaLee ... when I started doing applique, I bought a bunch of different fusible products to try.
It was a good move, as I soon discovered the differences from one brand to the other.

You will probably thank yourself for trying some different ones too, to find what is best for you.
Especially before starting on a bigger project.

Each product has its own pros and cons.

jcrow 08-30-2018 08:24 PM

I only buy Steam a Seam Lite (I don’t know if it’s 2 or not). I’ve tried a few others, including Mistyfuse and Heat and Bond Lite, but Steam a Seam beats them all IMO!

Jane Quilter 08-30-2018 09:52 PM

I prefer steam a seam 2 . It is so thin, you dont even know it is there , and you can re position it until the final press. My needle never gets sticky.

ckcowl 08-31-2018 01:19 AM

I use either heat n bond or steam a seam- each has various weights and applications. Heat n bond lite is a temporary adhesive ( washes away- has to be sewn) the heavier heat n bond is a no- sew option, permanent bond you use a dry iron with the heat n bond fusibles. Steam a seam also comes in different weights, needs steam and is tacky so you can place it & it will stay. You can move it around until you press it, once you press it down it’s permanent.
Misty fuse is a very lightweight fine fusible used for lightweight fabrics like silks.

Watson 08-31-2018 01:26 AM

Steam a seam Lite 2.

It has a slightly sticky side so you can position it on your piece to see how ir looks before you actually iron it down.
I've done quilts that used a lot of this and never had a problem quilting through them, doing meander.

Watson