Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What fusible products do you like the best for applique?

What fusible products do you like the best for applique?

I'm going to do a couple of art quilts with lots of little pieces. Need to buy fusible product. I do not have a lot of experience with this. Any info would be appreciated. I always appreciate your comments. Thank you!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

So long as you sew it down after fusing, I've had good luck w/ HeatnBond LITE.

The Heavy Duty HeatnBond version (red packaging) can not be sewn thru'. So both versions have their uses.

Good Luck!
    Donna Mc

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Misty Fuse is super lightweight. It is not backed with paper. You fuse it first to the fabric you intend to use, then to the background, so it might be useful with many small pieces. Or you could glue stick the pieces, lay tulle over, then quilt. The quilting stitches hold the small pieces in place (read up on collage quilts).
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I like steam a seam 2, the lite version. I've tried many others and keep going back to this.

Blog Entries
    I buy and use WonderUnder by the bolt. It is cheaper and I use large pieces for large quilts. All personal preference.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Quote Originally Posted by osewfast View Post
    So long as you sew it down after fusing, I've had good luck w/ HeatnBond LITE.

The Heavy Duty HeatnBond version (red packaging) can not be sewn thru'. So both versions have their uses.

Good Luck!
    Donna Mc
    There is also Heat N Bond Featherlite.
    I've used both and don't notice a big difference between the two.

RhondaLee ... when I started doing applique, I bought a bunch of different fusible products to try.
    It was a good move, as I soon discovered the differences from one brand to the other.

You will probably thank yourself for trying some different ones too, to find what is best for you.
    Especially before starting on a bigger project.

Each product has its own pros and cons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I only buy Steam a Seam Lite (I don’t know if it’s 2 or not). I’ve tried a few others, including Mistyfuse and Heat and Bond Lite, but Steam a Seam beats them all IMO!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I prefer steam a seam 2 . It is so thin, you dont even know it is there , and you can re position it until the final press. My needle never gets sticky.

Blog Entries
    I use either heat n bond or steam a seam- each has various weights and applications. Heat n bond lite is a temporary adhesive ( washes away- has to be sewn) the heavier heat n bond is a no- sew option, permanent bond you use a dry iron with the heat n bond fusibles. Steam a seam also comes in different weights, needs steam and is tacky so you can place it & it will stay. You can move it around until you press it, once you press it down it’s permanent.
    Misty fuse is a very lightweight fine fusible used for lightweight fabrics like silks.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Steam a seam Lite 2.

It has a slightly sticky side so you can position it on your piece to see how ir looks before you actually iron it down.
    I've done quilts that used a lot of this and never had a problem quilting through them, doing meander.

Watson

I’m a Mistyfuse fan. You don’t even know it’s there it’s so invisibly soft, and never gums up the needle. Will never go back to anything else.

I've been really happy with steam a seam lite since I figured out that you really do have to steam it a lot before you sew it. I've never left it unsewn so I don't know how it would hold up.

I have used a lot of different ones but the one I use now is Quilter's Select Appli Web Plus.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by applique View Post
    I buy and use WonderUnder by the bolt. It is cheaper and I use large pieces for large quilts. All personal preference.
    Applique - Looks like there are multiple WonderUnder products - which do you use, please. I like ability to buy by the bolt, especially when there are coupons to be used. I am relatively new and loving the process.
    Thanks.

I discovered another one when trying out wool applique. It is called Soft Fuse. It does have paper on one side so you can trace on it. It is a bit pricey but I would never use anything else for wool. I could also you it on cotton if I were using many layers.

Blog Entries
    I use heat'n'bond lite. One day I will try some other fusible options but for now heat'n'bond works for me just fine.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I've only done one project with fused applique and I used Mistyfuse. It was super easy to work with and I like the result. Used machine blanket stitch to sew around the edges of 280 leaves, which worked very well for my design. I can't say I don't feel it at all, but it certainly didn't add the weight I'd expect with other products I've used in garment making.

Thank you everyone. This will be a new experience for me and I'm excited to start the project. Have a couple of things to finish up though but it helps motivate me to finish so I can move ahead with a new project. A lot of information here. Thanks again.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpepperm37 View Post
    Applique - Looks like there are multiple WonderUnder products - which do you use, please. I like ability to buy by the bolt, especially when there are coupons to be used. I am relatively new and loving the process.
    Thanks.
    805 is what I use. Just bought two bolts at wholesale from Brewer.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Our favorite at the store is "Soft Fuse." It's dry, not tacky.
    Annette in Utah

I have used most of them but prefer Steam a Seam 2 because you can reposition it. I also do not have trouble doing the stitching either by hand or machine.

Blog Entries
    Interesting conversation! Thanks to everyone for your preferences and reasons. Now for those of you who do hand appliqué. Which stabilizer do you prefer, I.e., which is easiest to put the needle through. I have the appliquick tools but did not buy the stabilizer. Plan to use a glue stick.

Blog Entries
    I use a very light weight, iron on, nonwoven interfacing. Draw your design on the smooth side of of the interfacing(put paper under it for bleed though). Then cut it out leaving about 2” all around. Place it rough side to pretty side of your fabric (I use smaller pieces to do thos) pin around the edges, and stitch on the line (I use ink that nearly matches my fabric so if it bleeds, no problem) all the way around the shape using a small stitch with matching thread. To turn, slit about 1/2” inch or so on the back and carefully turn it right side out, finger pressing all the edges, being careful that all the fabric is not folded in. Now I can iron it in place, hand stitch it down all around the shape, and carefully trim the back away leaving at least a 1/4” seam allowance. This works really well with simple shapes, but for small pieces I use the method I showed in this tutorial from a few years ago.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...d-t240526.html
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I love Wonder Under 805. I have never had a problem with it being stiff and I recently got some for a great price.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Maureen NJ, I do hand applique. I use a water soluble fusible. Love it ........... I can either trace my applique pieces or use my printer. I don't have any trouble putting my needle through the fabric and I do use glue ( very, very, small amounts ) Depending on what I have on hand I will either use Roxanne's glue baste-it or a glue stick. Oh and the fusible product I use is Wash - Away Applique Sheets.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast