Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a guy on a date should never say to a quilter....LOL. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-guy-date-should-never-say-quilter-lol-t173162.html)

raptureready 12-27-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by fixfido (Post 4810639)
I went on a first date with a man not too long ago and, while we were making small talk, I said I loved to quilt in my spare time. He said, "Quilting? Isn't that something old ladies do?" All I could think was, "If he'd open his mouth a little more, he might be able to fit his whole foot in there!" Just thought it was worth a chuckle...

Orrrrrr, if he'd just stand up and turn around, your foot might fit on his hiney. Bless his heart. If you liked him give him another chance, just educate him quickly.

winia 12-27-2011 06:54 AM

Some people (mostly men) consider anything hand done by a woman to be busy work. It's not anything to be excited about, especially sewing, because (according to my daughter and son-in-law) the machine does all the work. Needless to say, they do not get any of my quilts.

Joanne9of12 12-27-2011 07:18 AM

I once had man say that it was great that I quilted because if we stayed together I could do his mending -you know, since I already sew and all. I laughed and said that mend was a four-letter word to me and I don't like to say (or do) it. We're not together, but we're friends and I've had his wife in a few of my quilting classes. I don't think she does his mending either. :-)

adrianlee 12-27-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 4810834)
I can't think of a better hobby or way of life than making quilts.

Amen to Jingle!

My time 12-27-2011 08:43 AM

I get that all the time and it sounds like the rest of us do as well. He just doesn't know. Unless your obsessed like the rest of us, many people have no idea what is involved in our craft. Like the rest of the ladies I am wondering if there was a second date?

rj.neihart 12-27-2011 08:58 AM

Years ago I went on several first dates. This one man actually said the same thing to me.."Isn't that what old ladies do?" I told him I was in disguise...and no, no second date...

crafterrn1 12-27-2011 09:06 AM

I would have told him that this little old lady can whip out a great many wonderful quilts! Then say bye bye! Luann

DonnaB 12-27-2011 09:20 AM

And, what's the rest of the story, are you still dating him? Men can be so insenitive some times.

BuzzinBumble 12-27-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 4811342)
....So, when people make innocent comments about sewing/quilting or any other hobby they are not familiar with, it is a learning opp to teach them. Heck, I never knew people actually hunted morels until I saw it on TV!

Give the guy a break. I have to give a lot of ladies like me a break when they don't realize how strong the quilting world really is. If you are not involved, how would you know?

The regret for me is that I did not discover it sooner! (I did not know about rotary cutters! LOL!!)

Sandy

Very Well Said Sandy!

collady 12-27-2011 11:37 AM

That was one big "OOPS" on his part. Did he realize what he said?