Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What a guy on a date should never say to a quilter....LOL.

What a guy on a date should never say to a quilter....LOL.

I went on a first date with a man not too long ago and, while we were making small talk, I said I loved to quilt in my spare time. He said, "Quilting? Isn't that something old ladies do?" All I could think was, "If he'd open his mouth a little more, he might be able to fit his whole foot in there!" Just thought it was worth a chuckle...
    Life has given me so much more than scraps, but I make quilts anyway!
    http://www.wickedcool.etsy.com

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing no second date?!?!?!?!
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

My daughter told me the same thing when I told her I was learning to quilts about three years ago. Since then she has asked me to make her a black and white quilt and a Christmas tree skirt

Oh, the comebacks I'm thinking ....
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Some men are/can be so stupid. When I started quilting my husband asked why I was wasting when I could just buy a quilt. I got on line and showed him the cost of real quilts. Since then he has bought a new Janome, and we are discussing a long arm purchase. Education is the key.

They just don't understand the workings of a women who loves to create! Old or young!
    Debra

I can't think of a better hobby or way of life than making quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Ditto what Jingle said. I love living this way, and my husband loves me this way.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

No furure there I would say!
    Carolyn

Do you read the comic called "Pickles"? the guy who writes it if obviously married to a quilter. There are some cute story lines in it for quilters.

My hubby has been very wonderful to me thru the years of my quilting obsession. He has fed my love of "old sewing machines" I have a wonderful collection of them because of him. My first present today was a very little SAD Iron. It's so cute. I would never have bought it for myself. So I'm a lucky girl!! He never complains when dinner isn't ready cause I'm working on a project!! So many blessings I have. I wish you each and everyone the same!!
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I am not dating but I get that comment often from both men and women. I would not give up on him just yet...if you like him.

Too funny, that's a good one!
    Kathy

Since you don't say anything about a second date, one assumes that he was just that dumb. But is could have been one of those things that just come out wrong and you can't get back, so you feel like an idiot and don't know what to say next.

Totally uneducated. lol.
    katigirl

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I get that comment all the time... Yup foot in the mouth syndrome... then their other foot goes in when I tell them how much the quilts go for.....

.... You just cant fix Stupid....

To his defense, until someone is involved in quilting/sewing, know someone who is or if they have ever gone to a quilt show, people in general do not realize that sewing/quilting is alive and thriving. 7 years ago I was "that person". I had not sewn for years because I no longer enjoyed garment sewing and honestly, I did not know that quilting was going strong. I honestly did not know anything about it. It took a move to a rural area (from a metro area) and I decided to make some curtains for a museum that I go the "bug" to sew. I knew that my town had a quilt shop so I got curious and walked into the door.

Quilting opened up a whole new world for me. I get that rush just "sewing" and piecing quilt tops and making bags, totes and small projects feeds that rush. I took a couple of lessons from this shop and it was enough for me to take the ball and go! I already knew how to sew garments but did not know what tools were needed to piece quilt tops. The store owner and I have been friends ever since and she introduced me to 3 quilt guilds and thus many new friends to connect with.

I am amazed at the creativity and talent in the world of sewing and quilting.

So, when people make innocent comments about sewing/quilting or any other hobby they are not familiar with, it is a learning opp to teach them. Heck, I never knew people actually hunted morels until I saw it on TV!

Give the guy a break. I have to give a lot of ladies like me a break when they don't realize how strong the quilting world really is. If you are not involved, how would you know?

The regret for me is that I did not discover it sooner! (I did not know about rotary cutters! LOL!!)

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My DDIL is that way thinks quilts are for old ladies, thats why she has not gotten one
    Deb T

Maybe I'm an 'old lady' (69, next biirthday) in real time, but quilting makes me feel young! I love seeing the designs and the quilts other quilters come up with. Ssoooo much talent out there! I do my quilting the way I want to, no quilt police here, and if it makes me happy...well. So!!! All the 'old ladies' of the quilting world, unite! And no hitting anyone over the head with that new package of batting, just 'educate' them. Happy New Year, everyone!!
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Did he realize his error or just go on. Second date?

lol...that is funny.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Husband told me yesterday that we have enough quilts now (8-10), so I need to find something else to do. Can you just stop quilting, just like that??? They just don't get it. We don't quilt to just make quilts. Silly men!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I agree, if you're not personally into quilting or know someone who is, you just don't get it. Although I sewed for years, I only started quilting 3-4 years ago. And I didn't realize until a while after that, how big quilting is in the US. If the gentleman is nice other than the comment, perhaps he could be "educated"!
    Heather

They do the same if you say crochet or knit as well.

Was there a second date?

Maybe we could make up a checklist for prospective dates?

1. Are you allergic to cotton lint? (If no, proceed to #2)
    2. How do you like the pretty little snippets and threads with which I keep my clothing decorated? (If positive, proceed to #3)
    3. Would you be averse to learning how to sew on quilt bindings? (If positive, you probably ought to ditch any further checklists and snag him up before another quilter gets him. Or worse, before a non-quilter gets him! Mercy what a waste! )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast