Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-have-you-added-your-sewing-room-make-your-body-happier-t168477.html)

annthreecats 11-16-2011 10:46 AM

I put my cutting table on bed risers. Really makes a difference for me.

hairquilt 11-16-2011 11:01 AM

I love my tens unit also. I couldn't do anything if I didn't have it!!

mighty 11-16-2011 11:12 AM

Good question what is TENS?

AprilG 11-16-2011 11:27 AM

A heater and a new puppy.. # 3 Chihuahua and #5 dog! Yes, I'm crazy.

AprilG 11-16-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 4686590)
Good question what is TENS?

A TENS Unit is an electronic muscle stimulator that sends electric pulses into the muscles and nerves to relax them and help with pain. I used one for years because of lower back pain. Then I got a new mattress! Instant relief. My old mattress was a sleep number bed! Boy did it do a number on my back. But, my husband loves it. Yep, separate beds. Now I sleep more comfortably and I don't have to listen to him snore and he has a quieter time too! LOL Remember, ladies don't snore! They breathe deeply.

Sew N Tune 11-16-2011 01:20 PM

A CD player. It makes me happy all over.

jayelee 11-16-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 (Post 4685712)
Does the TENS unit work well for your back pain? I would need something like that for my neck shoulder. That's where I get most of my discomfort while sewing for more than an hour.

I recently treated myself to a better chair with a good lumbar support and my sewing area is set up in almost a square so all I have to do is "wheel" myself around to whatever I need (sewing machine on one side - next ironing table - behind serger - other side work table). I have just enough space to walk out of that work area but it works for me. My cutting table (with my bar stool) and fabric are in the other bedroom. The bar stool has really helped to relieve my back pain when I have a lot to cut. I cut the long cuts standing up, then do the sub-cuts sitting down.....HUGE difference in how my back feels.

This setup is really close to mine I have counter tops with sewing machine at the right height on one side Iron setup on the right side Serger on the left and cutting table on the fourth side set up higher than than my sewing and ironing sides with windows on three sides for light DH also put in shop lights with the sunlight bulbs on all sides

Mitch's mom 11-16-2011 02:41 PM

2 vintage Dazor architect lamps with double fluorescent bulbs and a huge amount of adjustability. One is a clamp on style I use on my industrial table, the other is a desk model I use behind my DSM. I spent 5.00 on each of them and will buy another one if I find one. They are the best sewing light I have ever had.

pinkcastle 11-16-2011 04:20 PM

My lovely DH made me a custom cutting table which I absolutely love!

lizzyq 11-16-2011 04:30 PM

I bought a Perfect Sewing Chair from cottonclub.com a few years ago. It's a rolling chair with extra back support, and it's the best chair I've ever used. I couldn't sew for any length of time without it!~