Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

I have added an ergonomic cutter. Replaced the foot pedal with a hand unit. A slotted ruler for cutting, and a TENS unit for my back.

Blog Entries
    A recliner!

I'm in the final stages of finishing my sewing room and thanks to hubby's suggestion (I "HAD" to have a love seat so he could join me or I could have friends over) I'd add more room so I could include a cutting table.

I have my Koala table to use to lay out fabric when I spray baste my quilts. But it would be nice to have a larger table.
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

Blog Entries
    Does the TENS unit work well for your back pain? I would need something like that for my neck shoulder. That's where I get most of my discomfort while sewing for more than an hour.

I recently treated myself to a better chair with a good lumbar support and my sewing area is set up in almost a square so all I have to do is "wheel" myself around to whatever I need (sewing machine on one side - next ironing table - behind serger - other side work table). I have just enough space to walk out of that work area but it works for me. My cutting table (with my bar stool) and fabric are in the other bedroom. The bar stool has really helped to relieve my back pain when I have a lot to cut. I cut the long cuts standing up, then do the sub-cuts sitting down.....HUGE difference in how my back feels.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Floor mats for my tired feet.
    Tammy

Blog Entries
    a rolling chair. i'd love to get a rolling stool, saddle type, for my quilting frame, too.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I also have back issues and I have found that sewing on my cutting table (which is propped up with bed risers) using a bar stool helps to keep me from "hunching over" which my therapist says is the worst thing ever for your back. (I do sew on the regular sewing spot if it is just a couple of minutes or so.)

I love my TENS. I get neck/shoulder pain also (which is caused by my bad spine).

Blog Entries
    My youngest son. He is ONLY 39 hahahah

Bed risers on my cutting table. It is much easier on my back now that it is higher up.
    Marie

Sorry for asking. What is a TENS?
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

I just moved my 'studio' again. Had my LA table made bigger and an upgrade. So other than the table and upgrade nothing is new.

I have my cutting table at a comfortable height ... it is a rolling [with locking wheels] kitchen cart with shelves and is just right for me.

Then I have my Swopper ... that is a sorta balance ball seat that isn't inflatable but is adjustable. Look it up on the net. It almost forces me to use good posture. It cut down on the TENS use for me, so it was a good investment. Yes, it cost a bit and has been worth every dollar/penny I spent on it.

I also had Home Depot cut those about 1" think floor mats that are like puzzle pieces into halves. I stand on that when using the quilting machine. I tried Crocs on my feet but they don't fit well enough to be comfortable.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

A TENS unit does help me. It supplies electrical stimulation to the pain area. Must be gotten through your doctor. insurance or medicare may pay for it

Power Poster
    I bought the mesh back support that goes on your regular chair back. I find that the added curve in the back forces me to sit straighter and not slouch. I also bought the magnifying glass set for my Bernina for FMQ so I don't bend forward to see where I'm sewing. I would love to upgrade to the ergonomic cutter that fits into a rail on the rulers but I can't justify the price or the waste. I would have to buy the new rulers and I have a fairly large collection of regular rulers already.

I got a high backed office chair so I can lean back every 15 mins to rest my neck.I have ruptured discs and have to lean back often or I am in so much pain for a few days that I am in bed .It was about $150.00 but priceless to me.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I made myself new arm cushions, seat, and back for my chair. The seat, back and arms were getting so flat it wasn't comfy anymore.

A quality office chair! I sat on at least 15 in Staples on Saturday, and kept returning to this one. It does have arms, which turns out not to be so great as I can't lower them enough to get under the sewing table, but that does force me to use a better posture anyway.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    Chocolate!!!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by JOMARIE View Post
    A TENS unit does help me. It supplies electrical stimulation to the pain area. Must be gotten through your doctor. insurance or medicare may pay for it
    I have a tens unit from a previous fall, but now that I am on Medicare, will they pay for the pads?
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

I splurged on the Accuquilt Studio. That has really eliminated a lot of cutting time for me.

I bring my iPad in and listen to an audio book while I quilt.

Blog Entries
    I put my cutting table on bed risers. Really makes a difference for me.

Blog Entries
    I love my tens unit also. I couldn't do anything if I didn't have it!!

Good question what is TENS?

A heater and a new puppy.. # 3 Chihuahua and #5 dog! Yes, I'm crazy.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Good question what is TENS?
    A TENS Unit is an electronic muscle stimulator that sends electric pulses into the muscles and nerves to relax them and help with pain. I used one for years because of lower back pain. Then I got a new mattress! Instant relief. My old mattress was a sleep number bed! Boy did it do a number on my back. But, my husband loves it. Yep, separate beds. Now I sleep more comfortably and I don't have to listen to him snore and he has a quieter time too! LOL Remember, ladies don't snore! They breathe deeply.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast