Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-have-you-added-your-sewing-room-make-your-body-happier-t168477.html)

GrannyFitz4 11-17-2011 08:16 AM

Rather than lay out a large quilt on the floor, my DH suggested we buy a 4 x 8 foot slab of insulation. We put it on top of my cutting table. I too have back issues and this saved my back because it was at back saver level. Another plus was I could leave the blocks in place until I was ready fo sew them. When I was done, we stored the slab until I needed it again.

VivianW 11-17-2011 08:27 AM

Great question - what is a TENS?

KathyPhillips 11-17-2011 08:38 AM

I haven't seen this yet on the postings. I have a weight that fits on my shoulders/back with straps that fit over my arms. It causes me to sit straighter instead of hunching over, making my shoulders and back feel better.
I don't see why you couldn't make one like a rice microwave bag with elastic attached to fit over your shoulders. The one I have costs about $50-60, and you see it for sale in quilting book ads. Much more economical to make one. I also have a cutting table that folds down to about 12" if you need more room. I live it up and ready to cut on most of the time.
Chiropractors are also helpful, but you can't have one "in" your sewing room unless you have one for a DH/DW or BF/GF! I see mine weekly.

G'ma Kay 11-17-2011 08:47 AM

I went to Staples and got an adjustable height office chair. It goes tall enough for me to sit and cut, and also adjusts to the different machines I have around the room. It's a real back saver.

lawsonmugs 11-17-2011 09:12 AM

One of the best and cheapest items I added was 2 small rubber door stops from the dollar store.I put them under the back side of sewing machine and it slightly tilts it towards me. Makes it easier to see and my neck doesn't bother me when sewing for long amounts of time.It also helps keep the machine from scooting.It all sets on a little sewing quilt.

ChrisB 11-17-2011 09:33 AM

A magnetic necklace for neck pain.

AnitaSt 11-17-2011 10:58 AM

My Bendable Bright Light. That little guy puts out some bright light! My sewing machine light just isn't enough and this little guy sure saves my eyes!

greenini 11-17-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt (Post 4689018)
I bought a sewing cabinet so I can take the table I've been using to sew and use it for a cutting table. Wal Mart has a great deal on a Sauder sewing cabinet. It's $60 cheaper then the Amazon price and free shipping to your house. It has a door with 2 shelves, another door with plastic compartments , a leaf that makes the cabinet 60 inches long when open and a shelf underneath to put a machine on. Can you tell I'm excited.

Can you give a web reference for me? I'm looking for a cabinet that isn't too expensive and this sounds great.

I have put a gypsy sit upon that I found at a quilter's yard sale on my office chair and I really like it. It has some give and seems to help with the back pain.

baglady65 11-17-2011 11:30 AM

I floor heater for the winter time! Otherwise I would not be able to sew in this room!

Kas 11-17-2011 12:19 PM

Me! I have been neglecting my machine, lately. I get stressed when I can't sew.