Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-hate-about-popular-purse-wallet-patterns-t172272.html)

dunster 12-17-2011 05:32 AM

I also prefer to have dimensions to cut from rather than a paper pattern if it's a simple rectangle. However for curves or special shapes it's nice to have the paper pattern.

Phannie1 12-17-2011 05:32 AM

[QUOTE=ube quilting;4788297]I just bought a Pattern for a cute wallet and some of the pieces are just rectangle or square cuts of material. Do I need a pattern for that. No! Pattern pieces for the curved parts were included. I enjoyed making it so much I made 20 of them to give to the girls in my department at work for xmas and I also made a credit card size xmas card and slipped it into one of the two card holder spots. if I ever learn how to post pics' I'll show them off!

I want to see your pictures. Little cards would be so cute and personnal. I like that Idea.

I too, like just cutting the fabric. I do not like to cut tissue paper patterns out before I can use them. Waste of my time and effort. Merry Christmas all.

indymta 12-17-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 4788297)
I just bought a Pattern for a cute wallet and some of the pieces are just rectangle or square cuts of material. Do I need a pattern for that. No! Pattern pieces for the curved parts were included. I enjoyed making it so much I made 20 of them to give to the girls in my department at work for xmas and I also made a credit card size xmas card and slipped it into one of the two card holder spots. if I ever learn how to post pics' I'll show them off!
peace

I only bought a few of the purse patterns and think the same....with quilt patterns, they just tell you to cut - x- rectangles so was not surprised to not have patterns, However, I think it is wrong to sell a pattern that tells you to copy at % larger. For what they charge, things that can't be cut by measurement alone should be provided or one should be told up front.

katesnanna 12-17-2011 06:06 AM

I must admit it was an eye opener to me the first time I saw a commercial quilt pattern to discover it was merely directions. After years of sewing clothing either with bought pattern pieces or my own drafted paper patterns I sure miss paper groceries bags as I used these for patterns and I still have some of them.
I think directions that are sold as patterns are highly over priced. I have only bought one pattern - for the Bow Tucks Bag.
Have to admit I do have a lot of quilt magazines most of which I hardly ever look at these days. Wish I'd had a computer when I started quilting. With all the free patterns available I could have saved a small fortune but I would only have spent it on fabric and I have soooooo much now.

ka9sdn 12-17-2011 06:18 AM

I agree that for the money the patterns cost we get little. The directions are so bad often that you have to figure them out yourself. I also agree that it is a shame we have to drive to a town, and pay more money to get the size pattern you need. We already paid for the pattern.

Val in IN 12-17-2011 07:08 AM

I agree, it's a real pain. I don't draw them on paper though. I draw the pieces onto posterboard. Then all I have to do is lay the piece on the fabric and draw around it. I've done that with clothing patterns that I make over and over again too. For clothing patterns, I glue the tissue paper pattern to the posterboard. I figure if I have to draw it out anyway, I may as well make it destroy-proof. The other great thing about posterboard is NO PINNING!

amandasgramma 12-17-2011 07:12 AM

I'm just the opposite!!! I HATE tissue patterns. Made one last year and then gave the pattern away. Since the rotary cutters and mats came on the scene I've sewn more bags in the last 5 yrs than I did in the other 55!!!!!

bjgallent 12-17-2011 08:03 AM

I hate that too. I usually make a paper piece the size needed and use that. I am not good at using a rotary cutter other than a full cut across the fabric.

Katia 12-17-2011 08:17 AM

It is not just bag patterns that are like that. I have been making dolls for longer then I care to admit, and they have pretty much always been printed on regular paper, unless you buy from one of the major companies. And any square or rectangular parts were just dimensions. I use typing paper if the pattern is small enough or freezer paper otherwise. I also like to make the patterns out of heavy interfacing if it is something I want to last. They used to make pattern paper and an interfacing product made specifically for copying off your patterns. When making things for my kids or grandkids, if it was a pattern I knew I would use a lot, or want to use several of the sizes in a multisize pattern, I always copy it off. For some strange reason I have always found that process relaxing.

I only use my rotary cutter for quilting or sometimes bags. I don't think cutting through tissue onto fabric would be very accurate. But I could be wrong.

Connie M. 12-17-2011 08:44 AM

I never make a tissue pattern for the purses, I just cut the dimensions required with my rotary cutter and mat. I appreciate not dealing with the tissue patterns, but I do agree commercial patterns of all kinds are very vague, and hard to understand sometimes. I would hate to be a beginner, trying to guess what the heck thay are talking about. I have found that Halloween costume patterns are the worst. I think it is very unwise of the pattern companies to be so vague in ther costume pattern instructions, as many beginners start out making a Halloween costume and then decide if sewing is that confusing, they want no part of it.