Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-hate-about-popular-purse-wallet-patterns-t172272.html)

bdship 12-17-2011 09:35 AM

I hate that too, if I pay for a pattern, I want the pattern.

quilter1942 12-17-2011 09:44 AM

I am also in the minority.I sewed for years using the tissue pattern,now since I quilt,I prefer measurements.I don`t make paper patterns.If it is a curved edge such as a flap I like a template.I think it is much easier to cut a piece for example 18 x 20 than to use a pattern piece.:thumbup:

gramma nancy 12-17-2011 10:29 AM

I'm with those who don't want paper patterns for straight-edged pieces. I'm making purses for my DD and DILs for Christmas. The pattern inlcuded pattern tissues, but I just measured them and cut to the measurements. Using the tissues took too long. Guess it's from having made the transition almost totally from sewing clothing to quilting. I'm not even into paper piecing -- just give me fabric, no paper required!

Rose L 12-17-2011 10:49 AM

I haven't read all of the replies but I guess I must be in the minority again. I find it easier to just grab a rotary cutter and slice out the fabric to the dimensions required than to use a paper pattern. I will agree that the directions in most patterns leave a lot to be desired though.

rusty quilter 12-17-2011 11:02 AM

I too came from a clothing background, and yes I resent paying good money for a pattern just to find a bunch of dimensions that I have to draw out and cut...another way we have invented to dumping the work onto another person's lap I suppose.

jitkaau 12-18-2011 03:37 AM

The manufacturer is saving on space,time and outlay by the sound of that. I hope it is reflected in the price of the pattern.

Alice Woodhull 12-18-2011 03:56 AM

If you know someone who is getting married, ask them if you can have the aisle runner after the wedding. You can get a lot of patterns out of one of these. I don't like tissue patterns if I'm going to make many items from it. The patterns made from the runner last forever. If you don't have access to a runner, use cheap pellon when it is on sale from JoAnn's.

Rettie V. Grama 12-18-2011 04:56 AM

I don't buy patterns, unless I actually need to. Like you, I get very frustrated when I get a pattern and have to make my own to the dimension that I want. Rather than do that, I draw my own to begin with. Totes, Wallets, purses all have a similar pattern just different dimensions and designs. When this started, I went to a Thrift store and first looked at all the purses, took a measurement then looked them over thouroughly. I found that almost all purses start with a rectangle. For a deep purse or tote a large rectangle, etc. Want gatherss? Gather the 2 ends. There are so many possibilities. For quilt patterns, I find that all of them have tiny pieces and most only make a tiny block. I can't work with tiny pieces and really don't care for those that have a dozen triangles and tiny squares and some with rounded edges. So, what do I do. I look at a picture, use a page of graph paper and draw to scale my Quilt Block Pattern. Perhaps it is stilly to do all this, but I'm retired, live in a beautiful retirement apartment home with 2 bedrooms on the 3rd floor where I can see a mile away and love it. If you can draw a straight line with the assistance of a ruler, you can make a pattern.

MaryAnnMc 12-18-2011 05:00 AM

I have to agree on this one... I'm paying too much for patterns with no pieces and lousy directions. I like the interfacing idea for replacing tissue. I'm making a lot of my own patterns, and if I ever sell one, you can be sure it will have pieces AND good directions.

lovelyl 12-18-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma (Post 4788604)
I'm just the opposite!!! I HATE tissue patterns. Made one last year and then gave the pattern away. Since the rotary cutters and mats came on the scene I've sewn more bags in the last 5 yrs than I did in the other 55!!!!!

Most of the bag patterns I have purchased seem to be written assuming one will use a rotary cutter and not need a paper pattern. I never thought of making a pattern for them. And I agree, the patterns are way overpriced for a few sheets of black and white printed paper and one color photo of the project!!!!!