Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I Learned About Spray Basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-about-spray-basting-t180300.html)

EllieGirl 02-23-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by majormom (Post 5000670)
I was just ready to suggest using a (or two or three) bed sheet(s) to cover everything around the spraying area, and then just washing them after. I stopped using spray basting because I have COPD, but I am going back to it 'cuz it's so much easier. I'm going to hold a wet face cloth over my nose and mouth, (like they tell you to when in a burning building to keep the smoke at bay) and then I'm going to spray away! Hope it works! If smoke can't get through the wet face cloth, I'm hoping the spray glue can't either. Anyone have an opinion?

Majormom, I have severe asthma and we keep respirator masks in the house. They are the white ones with two straps to go over your head and the number is N95. They can be bought at Home Depot, or Lowe's and are not very
expensive. I use them all the time, cleaning, yard work, spray basting. Using the mask frees up both your hands.

gigi712 02-23-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5001223)
Majormom, I have severe asthma and we keep respirator masks in the house. They are the white ones with two straps to go over your head and the number is N95. They can be bought at Home Depot, or Lowe's and are not very
expensive. I use them all the time, cleaning, yard work, spray basting. Using the mask frees up both your hands.

I have COPD too and would strongly suggest using a respiratory mask. We keep them here to use when I use any chemicals to clean or work on something. Works like a charm.

majormom 02-23-2012 10:34 AM

Thank you Elliegirl and gigi712 for your input on the respiratory masks. I didn't know where to get such a thing, but I will absolutely get one before my next quilt basting session which will be before this coming weekend. I so appreciate your help.

judykay 02-23-2012 10:38 AM

I also use spray basting, just be careful and use the one for temporary hold. I use a craft one also for various other things and when I spray basted my last wall hanging I grabbed the wrong can and it was very difficult to quilt through and made the fabric extremely stiff.

quiltsRfun 02-23-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by majormom (Post 5000670)
I was just ready to suggest using a (or two or three) bed sheet(s) to cover everything around the spraying area, and then just washing them after. I stopped using spray basting because I have COPD, but I am going back to it 'cuz it's so much easier. I'm going to hold a wet face cloth over my nose and mouth, (like they tell you to when in a burning building to keep the smoke at bay) and then I'm going to spray away! Hope it works! If smoke can't get through the wet face cloth, I'm hoping the spray glue can't either. Anyone have an opinion?

DH has a mask he uses when spraying the finish on his woodworking projects. Not the paper filter type. I think his has replaceable filters. Check at the hardware store to see if you can find one.

jitkaau 02-24-2012 03:54 AM

Easiest way to do spray basting is on a wall. If you do it on a table, it is best to do it in sections and don't be heavy handed with the spraying - it only needs to stay together whilst you are quilting. It doesn't have to be cemented together.

topstitch 02-24-2012 03:56 AM

When I read the warnings on the can about breathing this stuff I put it back on the store shelf and went on using the pinning technique. This was several years ago. Has the product been improved so that this is no longer a problem?

Elaine433 02-24-2012 05:00 AM

My DH helps me when I need to do this. We use the hardwood bedroom floor and tape the backing down with masking tape, making sure it is smooth and straight. We then layer the batting and quilt top over it. I fold back the top 2 layers only to the half way point or middle of the quilt and he sprays the batting lightly. Smooth the batting down and he sprays the top side of the batting so I can smooth down the quilt top. Then we do the same for the other half of the quilt.
As for the clean-up--We had a great deal of trouble getting the overspray off the wood floor but we have found that if we wet a few old washcloths with very hot water and clean it up within an hour---it all comes off cleanly. No more residue left behind.
BTW-I use the 505 spray and love it.

Janice46 02-24-2012 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE=EllieGirl;4998613]I tried spray basting yesterday and today. I spread out an old comforter yesterday and sprayed the backing to attach to the batting. I learned it's much easier putting the fabric on the table rather than the floor. I also learned to start in the middle and work out. The fabric is less likely to wrinkle.

This really beats pinning and hand basting! I hope the quilting goes as well.[/QUOTE]

HI I learned that ifyou lay your backing down first, and spray your batting on both sides, then you lay your batting on the backing and then your top It works out great no wrinkles

Quiltlady330 02-24-2012 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 4998866)
Just curious on how you handle the overspray on the table? I tried spray basting once on my kitchen floor, thought I had spread enough newspapers around, didn't, and had a time getting it up. I'm willing to try again though.

I always spray from the side INTO the quilt and have almost no overflow. On a large quilt I always try to have a helper. Two extra hands are really great for spreading it without wrinkles. My favorite tip about spray basting is to not spray too much. The quilt shouldn't be wet wet.
505 is the only one I use. Love it.