Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned during my first FMQ on my DSM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-during-my-first-fmq-my-dsm-t148108.html)

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 02:21 PM

1. I think I may have actually burned a few calories! My arms were burning!! :)

2. Always FMQ alone... While I couldnt see myself, I was doing some CRAZY things with my mouth! My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

3. Always FMQ alone... My hands ended up in all different weird postions and I swear I used my arms a few times to push that fabric around! It must have looked ridiulous!

4. Buy extra thread... HOLY COW! It seemed as if I used a ton of the stuff!!

5. Be patient/slow and steady!!... (altho I wasnt.. I think wine would have helped with that...). I am not sure who I was racing against.. but I am sure that I won!!

What all are things you have learned during a first or subsequent session of FMQ on you DSM?? Tips? Tricks? Giggles??

craftybear 08-26-2011 02:23 PM

Wow, sounds like you are learning as you go

they say

Practice Practice Practice

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear

they say

You can say that again! All I have for assistance is this board and google. :) And believe me, both have been great!

Stitchnripper 08-26-2011 02:28 PM

[quote=MellieKQuilter]

Originally Posted by craftybear

they say

You can say that again! All I have for assistance is this board and google. :) And believe me, both have been great![/quot

Added by Stitchnripper - Am I being redundant if I say it again? Practice Practice Practice.

:)
(Apparently I need more practice in Quoting Reply!!)

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 02:28 PM

I had a lot of fun doing it, plan to practice lots! Just have to make the tops to practice on... :)

woody 08-26-2011 03:47 PM

Don't forget to BREATHE!!! LOL

I keep holding my breath, and I hold my tongue funny :)

katier825 08-26-2011 04:00 PM

I like to quilt when alone because my family is distracting. I also like music on when I FMQ. Definitely remember to breathe..LOL. Wind several bobbins before you start and remember to check periodically that you haven't quilted sections without thread! Try to relax. Some say wine helps, but I don't drink wine, so I can't confirm that one. Practice alot! Laugh at your mistakes. Don't be afraid to try various designs. You may find you are better at one over another and you can build your confidence quicker sticking with what you are good at for awhile. Personally, I am not a good stippler! But I've done some practice feathers that don't look so bad.

Bottom line...just do it!

Cybrarian 08-26-2011 04:08 PM

What is it with breathing? I constantly realize (when I'm sure I'm a sickly shade of red...) that I'm not breathing. A teacher I had gave a great tip. Hum a waltz. It helped me the rhythm was just what I needed to make my movements smoother. (it's still no Dancing with the Stars moment though...)

Glassquilt 08-26-2011 04:33 PM

My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

Sometimes it take years to perfect the tongue thing.

Just-Lee 08-26-2011 05:28 PM

I just began doing FMQ on my new Juki. Luckily, I can say, the results have been wonderful with that machine...but my stitches will need practice!! I just belly laughed about your tongue comment, because I make weird mouth movements while doing it too...lol. I tend to tuck my lips like a toothless woman and back out...I do it so much, that my lips get worn out!! lol

Of course I am doing stippling to begin with, just to get the hang of moving the fabric, but I find myself quilting too densely I think, as my Bow Tuck needs absolutely no batting and is at attention..lol Any suggestions, besides wine?? lol