Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What I learned during my first FMQ on my DSM

1. I think I may have actually burned a few calories! My arms were burning!! :)

2. Always FMQ alone... While I couldnt see myself, I was doing some CRAZY things with my mouth! My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

3. Always FMQ alone... My hands ended up in all different weird postions and I swear I used my arms a few times to push that fabric around! It must have looked ridiulous!

4. Buy extra thread... HOLY COW! It seemed as if I used a ton of the stuff!!

5. Be patient/slow and steady!!... (altho I wasnt.. I think wine would have helped with that...). I am not sure who I was racing against.. but I am sure that I won!!

What all are things you have learned during a first or subsequent session of FMQ on you DSM?? Tips? Tricks? Giggles??

Blog Entries
    Wow, sounds like you are learning as you go

they say

Practice Practice Practice

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear

they say

You can say that again! All I have for assistance is this board and google. :) And believe me, both have been great!

[quote=MellieKQuilter]
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear

they say

You can say that again! All I have for assistance is this board and google. :) And believe me, both have been great![/quot

Added by Stitchnripper - Am I being redundant if I say it again? Practice Practice Practice.

:)
    (Apparently I need more practice in Quoting Reply!!)

I had a lot of fun doing it, plan to practice lots! Just have to make the tops to practice on... :)

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to BREATHE!!! LOL

I keep holding my breath, and I hold my tongue funny :)

Blog Entries
    I like to quilt when alone because my family is distracting. I also like music on when I FMQ. Definitely remember to breathe..LOL. Wind several bobbins before you start and remember to check periodically that you haven't quilted sections without thread! Try to relax. Some say wine helps, but I don't drink wine, so I can't confirm that one. Practice alot! Laugh at your mistakes. Don't be afraid to try various designs. You may find you are better at one over another and you can build your confidence quicker sticking with what you are good at for awhile. Personally, I am not a good stippler! But I've done some practice feathers that don't look so bad.

Bottom line...just do it!

What is it with breathing? I constantly realize (when I'm sure I'm a sickly shade of red...) that I'm not breathing. A teacher I had gave a great tip. Hum a waltz. It helped me the rhythm was just what I needed to make my movements smoother. (it's still no Dancing with the Stars moment though...)

Blog Entries
    My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

Sometimes it take years to perfect the tongue thing.

Blog Entries
    I just began doing FMQ on my new Juki. Luckily, I can say, the results have been wonderful with that machine...but my stitches will need practice!! I just belly laughed about your tongue comment, because I make weird mouth movements while doing it too...lol. I tend to tuck my lips like a toothless woman and back out...I do it so much, that my lips get worn out!! lol

Of course I am doing stippling to begin with, just to get the hang of moving the fabric, but I find myself quilting too densely I think, as my Bow Tuck needs absolutely no batting and is at attention..lol Any suggestions, besides wine?? lol

Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

That changed my whole perspective. Of course, if you have your DSM set into a table you aren't going to be able to swivel it 90 degrees. But if you don't -- give it a try and see how it feels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharBear
    Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

That changed my whole perspective. Of course, if you have your DSM set into a table you aren't going to be able to swivel it 90 degrees. But if you don't -- give it a try and see how it feels.
    Great idea! Thanks!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Loved your post! Maybe you could do it with water soluble thread, wash it, then do it all over again! No need to keep making quilts!

Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    What all are things you have learned during a first or subsequent session of FMQ on you DSM?? Tips? Tricks? Giggles??
    Sneezing during FMQ makes some pretty unpredictable results.

Ditto for hiccups.

And ... predict when the project will be finished and make an appointment with the chiropractor for that date.

Blog Entries
    HI Mellie,
    Just this morning I was FMQ on my DSM and realized I was not as tense in my shoulders as I have been and am began to feel as though I was starting to make some progress. I have found that working in smaller areas (blocks) on doll quilts is helping me. In practicing to begin working on a doll quilt, I set up a smaller quilt sandwich to practice what was in my mind's eye. Here are a few photos to show what I was doing. Hope it helps and encourages you.

I am also finding that doing the more dense FMQ in smaller areas is giving me better control for when I do a larger quilt than a doll quilt.... I hope.

Side note: I do suggest
    a. FREQUENTLY stopping with your needle down and turning the fabric in a better direction to continue going where you want to go
    b. going off, if you can, to the side of the sandwich to get a fresh start
    c. actually getting up and go do something else for a short bit (maybe view a few topics on this board). I found I was pleasantly refreshed when I returned.

:-D

Not sure if you can see jagged lines, etc. that are NOT perfect. Some lines are just plain covering up my machine going where I didn't want it to go... LOL!
    Name:  Attachment-247215.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  80.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think I taught myself a few new words... rofl! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips' just learning!

Your work looks great. I usually find myself clenching my teeth, make jaws hurt, I need to chew some gum. My Cockatiel tries to hollar louder than the sewing machine when I do FMQ. Tomorrow will be perfect weather so she is spending the day outside in her smaller cage. She makes me too tense when I'm trying to relax.

A friend showed me a trick to make help visibility and help back strain. Put a doorstop under your machine to angle it toward you. If you have your machine in a cabinet, you can angle the whole cabinet.

Blog Entries
    i have an 18 x 18 practice block that i warm up on and 'write' my name or my childrens name to check how much it looks like my handwriting - this gives me an indication of PROGRESS !!!!!!and the weird thing of the cabbage patch doll mouth, guilty of that here, i am remembering to breath and i think today is the day i will try wine ! oh, and swinging the machine around really helped, been doing that all week. Good Luck all happy FMQ

I had to change my bobbin thread in the middle of my FMQ'ing once. Didn't check to make sure the stitching on the back looked right. Imagine how upset I was when I finished and turned my quilt over....AWFUL. So glad it wasn't a large area but I sure wasted a lot of thread. So if you have to rethread while FMQ'ing, always check your stitching so you can correct any problems right away.

I have read this somewhere else on here but haven't tried it yet. I haven't done many quilts and have just started FMQ so I must give it a try. Thanks for the reminder
    [quote=SharBear]Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    I think I taught myself a few new words... rofl! :lol:
    HAHA! me too! As for the wine suggestion: a little bit is good; too much can lead to some interesting (and unintended!) designs. BUT, never have the wine glass in the same room! I wouldn't ever want to spill wine on my work.

One thing I've learned is to listen. If the sound of things changes, there's probably something wrong: bobbin thread out, tension has gone awry, needle is dull, thread isn't feeding correctly, I'm moving the fabric at a different rate....

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

Sometimes it take years to perfect the tongue thing.
    Yes, I think I have perfected it. The tongue thing that is, not the FMQ. What I have learned:
    1. Laugh at yourself. It makes FMQ much more fun.
    2. Have a really good seam ripper as a good friend.
    3. Stitches do not have to be perfect, only close. Unless you are entering in a show for judging, NO ONE is going to look at it with a magnifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    1. I think I may have actually burned a few calories! My arms were burning!! :)

2. Always FMQ alone... While I couldnt see myself, I was doing some CRAZY things with my mouth! My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

3. Always FMQ alone... My hands ended up in all different weird postions and I swear I used my arms a few times to push that fabric around! It must have looked ridiulous!

4. Buy extra thread... HOLY COW! It seemed as if I used a ton of the stuff!!

5. Be patient/slow and steady!!... (altho I wasnt.. I think wine would have helped with that...). I am not sure who I was racing against.. but I am sure that I won!!

O.K. What is DSM?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast