Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What I learned during my first FMQ on my DSM

If you start out practicing on very small quilts it helps.
    But with larger quilts I found that walking foot the center and free motion the border works out best.
    Borders dont need to be shoved thru the machine so are much easier to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    1. I think I may have actually burned a few calories! My arms were burning!! :)

2. Always FMQ alone... While I couldnt see myself, I was doing some CRAZY things with my mouth! My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

3. Always FMQ alone... My hands ended up in all different weird postions and I swear I used my arms a few times to push that fabric around! It must have looked ridiulous!

4. Buy extra thread... HOLY COW! It seemed as if I used a ton of the stuff!!

5. Be patient/slow and steady!!... (altho I wasnt.. I think wine would have helped with that...). I am not sure who I was racing against.. but I am sure that I won!!

What all are things you have learned during a first or subsequent session of FMQ on you DSM?? Tips? Tricks? Giggles??

I felt like you were describing me! I found during and after learning fmg that the seam ripper is your friend!

[quote=

O.K. What is DSM?[/quote]

DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine. Any standard sewing machine, not short/mid/long arm machine.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    HI Mellie,
    Just this morning I was FMQ on my DSM and realized I was not as tense in my shoulders as I have been and am began to feel as though I was starting to make some progress. I have found that working in smaller areas (blocks) on doll quilts is helping me. In practicing to begin working on a doll quilt, I set up a smaller quilt sandwich to practice what was in my mind's eye. Here are a few photos to show what I was doing. Hope it helps and encourages you.

I am also finding that doing the more dense FMQ in smaller areas is giving me better control for when I do a larger quilt than a doll quilt.... I hope.

Side note: I do suggest
    a. FREQUENTLY stopping with your needle down and turning the fabric in a better direction to continue going where you want to go
    b. going off, if you can, to the side of the sandwich to get a fresh start
    c. actually getting up and go do something else for a short bit (maybe view a few topics on this board). I found I was pleasantly refreshed when I returned.

:-D
    Great job. Your work is very pretty. All I've tried so far is the all over stitching on my Juki. I love quilting, it is my form of relaxing. I think my tongue is hanging out also and I make weird looking faces. I stand to do my quilting and my machine is turned 90 degrees, with my quilt rolled on pvc pipe so I can hold on to it. My DH said I should start trying new sewing patterns, but I don't know which one to try next.

Beautiful work! You are really getting the hang of it. And that is a gorgeous print you're working with. It will be a work of art when you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by SharBear
    Last week I used a HQ Sweet 16 sit down. When I was going to do some FMQ on my DSM last night I decided that there was no reason not to turn my machine so that the head was oriented the same as the Sweet 16. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

That changed my whole perspective. Of course, if you have your DSM set into a table you aren't going to be able to swivel it 90 degrees. But if you don't -- give it a try and see how it feels.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46536-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46691-1.htm
    I saved these links a long time ago. I have not tried it yet, but want to.

[quote=ShirlinAZ]
    Quote Originally Posted by

O.K. What is DSM?[/quote

DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine. Any standard sewing machine, not short/mid/long arm machine.
    Thank you! I've got three great ones. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    My tongue was all over the place! It was actually kinda funny (picture child with tongue stuck out as they are concentrating intently on coloring or some other project).

Sometimes it take years to perfect the tongue thing.
    Glassquilt, you are toooo much! :-P :-P :-P

Blog Entries
    2. Always FMQ alone...
    You are so true.

I set a timer for 30 min. When it goes off, I do some stretches, drink a glass of water or "whatever", do the pit stops, check my email, then set the timer again and put the pedal to the metal!

I've noticed that alot of people recommend you practice on 12" squares but that didn't seem to work as well for me as a baby size quilt. It just seemed that by the time I got comfortable with my stitches I ran out of space with the squares where with the small quilts I could try all kind of different stitches. I have to try that 90 degree thing thanks for the tip.

[quote=Stitchnripper]
    Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Wow, sounds like you are learning as you go

they say

Practice Practice Practice
    You can say that again! All I have for assistance is this board and google. :) And believe me, both have been great![/quot

Added by Stitchnripper - Am I being redundant if I say it again? Practice Practice Practice.

:)
    (Apparently I need more practice in Quoting Reply!!)

My frustration is through the roof when I FMQ. Seems the more I practice the worse I get. I get myself into tight spots & end up with points or quick turns. I feel I'm trying too hard now & when I should be getting better I'm more dissatified with my work. It's like you're all looking over my shoulder. LOL. I can just hear you saying r-e-l-a-x. Yeah right.............Where's that wine?

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    HI Mellie,
    Just this morning I was FMQ on my DSM and realized I was not as tense in my shoulders as I have been and am began to feel as though I was starting to make some progress. I have found that working in smaller areas (blocks) on doll quilts is helping me. In practicing to begin working on a doll quilt, I set up a smaller quilt sandwich to practice what was in my mind's eye. Here are a few photos to show what I was doing. Hope it helps and encourages you.

I am also finding that doing the more dense FMQ in smaller areas is giving me better control for when I do a larger quilt than a doll quilt.... I hope.

Side note: I do suggest
    a. FREQUENTLY stopping with your needle down and turning the fabric in a better direction to continue going where you want to go
    b. going off, if you can, to the side of the sandwich to get a fresh start
    c. actually getting up and go do something else for a short bit (maybe view a few topics on this board). I found I was pleasantly refreshed when I returned.

:-D
    great tips! Love the flowers!

There is one important FMQ tool that hasn't been mentioned! Right now I'm quilting a 7x8' queen size with a lot of huge appliques on it... very heavy and hard to handle. My DH holds the rolled ends (sometimes folded ends) and moves it this way or that according to which way my head jerks. There is no way I could handle it all by myself.

Yes, he is for hire, for only $1000/hour! And you pay shipping.

Yes, the quilt has grown like Topsy and may never be practical on a bed. It is my first quilt for us (after about 60 for others). We designed it together and now he's helping me sew it.

Back off ladies, he's mine :>)

Blog Entries
    LOL!!! I find my head swaying with the fabric design and my tongue doing funny things. Sometimes I wish I had a mirror so I could laugh at myself!!!

Blog Entries
    [quote=ShirlinAZ]
    Quote Originally Posted by
    O.K. What is DSM?[/quote
    It can also be darling sewing machine when things are going well or d***** sewing machine when things aren't going quite so well. :D ~ Chris

Power Poster
    I think your FMQ looks perfectly fine. Good job. Maybe I'll get the nerve to do it myself some day, right now I mainly do SID. I'm sometimes slow to change, but I keep saying to myself that I can do FMQ. I have several placemats made, maybe I'll start with them.

Blog Entries
    :)
    (Apparently I need more practice in Quoting Reply!!)[/quote]

My frustration is through the roof when I FMQ. Seems the more I practice the worse I get. I get myself into tight spots & end up with points or quick turns. I feel I'm trying too hard now & when I should be getting better I'm more dissatified with my work. It's like you're all looking over my shoulder. LOL. I can just hear you saying r-e-l-a-x. Yeah right.............Where's that wine?[/quote]

Have to agree!! But, as I don't drink...well, yet anyways... :wink: I think your fmq practice looks great, and as my quilty "sisters" at my lqs tell me, "Stop taking out all of your stitches!! It says FREE motion for a reason...."lol...
    K

Make sure none of my grandchildren are anywhere near hearing distance... Grammy can say bad words.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

This is just too funny. I have this visual nand am laughing out loud. I also see myself, even tho I do FMQ (learning)
    alone. You never did say how you did.
    Did you do OK?

I,ve tried the wine and the problem is I start to yawn and
    want to go to bed, LOL.

Looks to me like you are making some very nice progress, so just keep that tongue a twistin', fling those arms with glee, wiggle that nose and twitch those toes and you'rll soon be done, tee hee.

Blog Entries
    If there was a camera mounted on our machine bed... filming our faces... wouldn't that make a hilarious youtube.com video?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hmmm I learned never ever ever try to FMQ on my domestic machine!! Tossed out the trial piece and never looked back. My hat is so totally off to anyone that can master it.
    I love doing freehand quilting on my Gammill longarm, that feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaF
    hmmm I learned never ever ever try to FMQ on my domestic machine!! Tossed out the trial piece and never looked back. My hat is so totally off to anyone that can master it.
    I love doing freehand quilting on my Gammill longarm, that feels so right.
    Yes that would be great. Some of us don't have a long arm and have to use what we have. I've managed so far with basic FMQ. Nothing fancy but I'm happy with it.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember to BREATHE!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast