Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WHAT was I thinking?? Now what to do?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-thinking-now-what-do-t157502.html)

QuiltE 10-02-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If your blocks are identically sized, you can line them up. This is how I did it. First make sure that your tetanus shots are up to date.
Take the backing square and put a thumb tack through each seam intersection that you want to match up, working from the front of the block, so the point comes out the back.
Lay the block on a flat surface and CAREFULLY smooth your batting over, being careful not to stick youself!
Now lay the top over the batting. The thumb tacks will allow you to match the intersections. Pin the heck out of it so it won't shift when you quilt it then remove the tacks.
Again, this will only work if the 2 blocks are really close in dimension.
I used this method to center a motif on a pieced back with the front of the quilt.

If doing this, it may be easier to use the long flower head pins that you use for OBW ... and follow the same technique

goosepoint 10-02-2011 04:09 PM

Both are beautiful. I would do 2 separate quilts. Use solids on the backs of both.

pattypurple 10-02-2011 04:14 PM

I took a machine quilting class and the most useful thing I learned was diagonal wavy lines. I have a wavy line stitch on my machine which I make fairly long and then just go corner to corner. You can do it free motion also. Sometimes I do it both diagonals and sometimes only one. Of course I usually only make baby or lap size quilts.
Love you color choices

Eva Knight 10-02-2011 04:14 PM

Maybe do 2" crosshatching on the diagonal.

She In PA 10-03-2011 03:00 AM

If you have a wavy line stitch on you machine it works well.

cpfrog 10-03-2011 03:05 AM

I'm really going out on a limb... can you do BOTH stitch in the ditch AND hand-tying nearer the centers??? ( That might be a question for the board: Can you combine quilting techniques? )

...otherwise, make two quilts or meander.

Good luck... the squares looks great!!!

ka9sdn 10-03-2011 03:53 AM

Why not find a full block quilting pattern you like and quilt each block--it will look the same on both sides and you will have a 2 sided quilt to switch around. I would not try to SID as it would be really hard to match up and keep matched for the whole block.

Phyl 10-03-2011 04:05 AM

Okay....think OUTSIDE of the box! How about CIRCLES?
A juxtipostion of shapes also adds a surprise element.
You can make the circles any size you want. Trying to match the SITD will just look as if you made mistakes. Circles will look "on purpose" and will soften the quilt. Good luck with whatever you do. Your work looks soooooooooooo good.

Carol in WI 10-03-2011 04:47 AM

Thank you everyone for the quick responses and ideas. I have so many choices ~ but I think I like the circle idea. Truth is that I have'nt completed the back blocks, so I could change just about anything at this point - to plain blocks or I've made one D4P and that looks pretty good too. I'm actually thinking of 1/2 D9P and 1/2 D4P for the back using the red/white combination; then use circles to create a bubbly effect. What do you think? I really don't trust myself to meander and definitely can't go with any type of SITD. I appreciate all the ideas and insight!

Homemother 10-03-2011 04:50 AM

Love both sides of the quilt. I like the idea of making two quilts!