Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was I Thinking!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-thinking-t211020.html)

toodie11 01-17-2013 04:08 PM

Quick tip for loosing small tools that you use a lot. put some TACKY(its like putty) on the side of your machine and stick your THANG or seam ripper to it - - then its always handy.

sonisew 01-17-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 5787832)
the fabric calculator...I never use it.

Yup, Same here, I don't use mine either

linmid 01-18-2013 05:17 AM

I agree with maryb119 the fabric calculator - I have never learned to use it and it just sits.

jeank 01-18-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 5791639)
I bought a machine foot for curved piecing and book at a quilt show (did that make sense? It's a fancy foot that's supposed to make curved piecing a breeze.) The demo made it look terrific. I'm not actually sure it was a waste of money. I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. Despite the great demo, curved piecing has always scared me off.

I bought one of these and haven't used it yet, that was several years ago. Hmmm, I wonder where it is?

winia 01-18-2013 06:13 AM

I was making a table topper with my sewing group and needed a twelve inch 60 degree ruler. That ruler cost between
$25 and $30. For one item? I don't think so. I bought a six inch one and added some Mylar at the end to equal the
twelve inches. Even the six inch one was about $15, but I have seen more patterns with the six inch ruler than the twelve.

pokeyscorner 01-18-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by hevemi (Post 5790396)
Various Triangle rulers. Whenever I didn't get my HSTs finishing the rigth size I'd try a different ruler to cut the triangles. NOW I know the problem always was my 1/4 seam allowance and not the cutting. Well, now if I get bored with one I can use another. I get my seam allowances accurate nowadays.

I went thru the same phase w/ the flying goose rulers! Couldn't get my geese to come out right too small, too much waste,etc. Now use Bonnie Hunters method & like the story goes "It's just right" (for me). Have 3 or 4 geese rulers.:o

new2q 01-18-2013 06:42 AM

for me....I have WAY TOO MANY BOOKS!!!! But Connecting Threads has a couple on sale right now that I really want. I already have a bookshelf that is full and ready to collapse. Rulers come in at a close second....some I don't even know what you use them for now.

hannajo 01-18-2013 07:19 AM

I recently was in a LQS and noticed a different brand of rotary blades that were much cheaper than Olfa, I think $3. Not only did I give it a try, but because they were so cheap I bought two of them. I got a bargain on the blades, but it didn't even cut one layer of fabric nicely. I took a closer look and realized they are for cutting paper. I feel dumb that I bought two of them when I should have just got one to try. I'm now waiting for my harbor freight blades to be delivered.