Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was I Thinking!!!!

What Was I Thinking!!!!

Was cleaning my sewing room when I came across some rulers I had tucked away. When I first saw the rulers I had to have them, I knew they would be a very wise investment. Boy was I wrong! Those rulers were a real waste of money, makes me cringe to think of the fabric I could have bought instead of those dumb rulers. What quilt related item/tools do you regret wasting money on?
    Quilt outside of the box!

Simplicity cutter!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Yup..got a few of those myself!!

the fabric calculator...I never use it.

Blog Entries
    Yep, it's rulers. I have some that not only "why did I buy it, but what the heck is it for?"

I have some quiting stensils .. had great hopes that I would use them..the type I bought are sooo not user friendly.

those little things you put on the end of your pins. Now I find out that pencil erasers work just as well! oh well...

Blog Entries
    I have lots of quilting items I have never used but I don't regret buying them. I can buy fabric anytime but the tools may be discontinued or go higher in price by the time I do want to use them.

The erasers working as good as the Pinmoors? They don't for me, they fall off the pin with any handling of the quilt at all. The Pinmoors stay on until I pull them off. I learned not to waste money buying things that work just as good, the real items work as they are suppose to and last longer.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Got fabric?

Quilt calculator, stencils, rayon threads (before I knew better), the tool for cutting bias strips, took that one back because the strip kept moving around and it came out unevern.....

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have just about every ruler out there and I only use 3 or 4 of them. I do use the Dresdyn plate one once in a while, so it was a good buy, but I bought so many Fon's and Porter rulers and have never had a use for them. I once organized my rulers and was amazed at how many doubles I had. I gave the second ones away when I shipped some fabric to a gal. I found a ruler I was just about to order. But I think I inherited that one from my deceased sister. So, maybe some of my doubles are from her. But if someone snuck into my house during the night and stole 3/4 of my rulers, I wouldn't miss them ever.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    the fabric calculator...I never use it.
    Really I love mine, comes in real handy
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I personally would not want to quilt without my Tucker Rules from 180 design.

All of us have probably purchased a "what was I thinking" tool, book or fabric. Once a year, our quilt group has an exchange of these items which is a lot of fun.

What really bothers me is when I'm signed up for a class and there is a list of items that are required. I have the stupid "add-a-quarter" and the "purple thang" purchased for a paper-piecing class and they weren't even used in the class!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    What really bothers me is when I'm signed up for a class and there is a list of items that are required. I have the stupid "add-a-quarter" and the "purple thang" purchased for a paper-piecing class and they weren't even used in the class!
    They didn't show you how to use the "add a quarter" in the PP class? It makes trimming so much easier for PP. There must be a tute out there for that. Sometimes teachers forget about teaching the basics. Not on purpose. It just happens.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My long arm table with a 9 in throat machine. It is useless and takes up all the room in my sewing room. Now I have to wait forever to afford at least an 18 in machine.

I've spend a chunk of money on magazines and books that I will probably never use for patterns, but I can't say they were a waste of money. I've gotten hours of pleasure looking thru them time and again.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    Have to laugh! I use my purple thang all the time. Once I couldln't find it and, as my husband was going out to do something I ask him to stop at Beverly's and get me a purple thang. He asked what a "purple thing" was, but I was in the middle of something intense and told him just to ask for it, they'd get it for him. I did tell him not "thing", but "thang". He came back laughing with it. Of course later I found the other one, and happily have two, which I seem to need all the time because they are easy to misplace!

I googled add-a-quarter and still have no clue what it does.....
    Last edited by Sierra; 01-16-2013 at 08:32 AM.

And so does deposable ear plugs.

rulers, books, pounce

By the way I love my add a quarter ruler and do not like to paper piece without it. I have the purple thang too some where and agree what a waste.
    Anna Quilts

Ouch!
    A friend and I almost made the same mistake by buying a set up like that. We had already signed at a quilt show, when later on in the day some one educated us about throat space, but the lady let us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    My long arm table with a 9 in throat machine. It is useless and takes up all the room in my sewing room. Now I have to wait forever to afford at least an 18 in machine.
    Anna Quilts

Various Triangle rulers. Whenever I didn't get my HSTs finishing the rigth size I'd try a different ruler to cut the triangles. NOW I know the problem always was my 1/4 seam allowance and not the cutting. Well, now if I get bored with one I can use another. I get my seam allowances accurate nowadays.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to every one here on QB I have not wasted my money on fancy rulers and quite a few other tools and notions. My favorite rulers are from my own tool bag from the good old days of pre-retirement

Blog Entries
    I have too many to tell. Some have never been opened.

I can't think of anything right now I thing I will never regret is buying is my two 9" throat machines. I use them all the time and can quilt any size quilt I need to on them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast