Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Was I Thinking!!!!

I bought a huge bag of Jodi Barrows books and rulers about 7 years ago ... she was a guild guest speaker. They are still wrapped in plastic, spent over $100 ... don't know when I'll ever use them. They sure looked like a great investment that night.

I've also purchased quilt DVDs and other stuff that I've never used. Could kick myself, but I'm not dead yet so I might use them or still kick myself later
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Last year my DH gave me EQ7 for Christmas, and I feel so guilty that I have only used it a few times - mostly just playing around. I haven't disciplined myself to sit down and spend some quality learning time with the program.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

It really does happen to all of us - many of the rulers I have I did get when a lady left them at the rec center where my husband worked, she didn't want them anymore and the LQS wouldn't take them. But then a few rulers were bought when they were on sale at quilt shows and before I buy another one I check to see if I already have it. And I also share, when someone wants to try something, I figure if they like mine, then they can buy it. If it turns out to be more trouble than it is worth they know without the investment.

My little clover iron is one such tool - when I saw it demonstrated it looked like the best thing since the sewing machine. But it was just not the way the it was for the demonstrator.

Also, many people never make the same pattern twice, so if I have to tool and they will only need it for one quilt, why not use mine and save a few dollars?

I have bought entirely too many books.

I once won $200 in a contest & used it to buy a Martelli cutting board & cutter. Both were big mistakes. Didn't like the cutter so gave it away. Use the cutting board under my Olfa mat bec it is slightly larger & the numbers show better when I'm cutting yardage.

One woman's mistake is another woman's "can't live without". I think the only ruler I have regretted buying was the Eleanor Burns flying geese before I discovered the no waste method. But, I have used it and I am sure I will again.

My aunt died this fall and my uncle brought us a bunch of her stuff. My sister actually took some of the rulers and handed to me and said,"I don't have room for this at my house. You take it and I will know where to borrow it." So, now I have a 20" square and the biggest triangle I have ever seen.

Right now my biggest regrets are pre-cuts. They stump me and just lay around looking pretty.

I buy a lot of books, but do enjoy looking thru them. I bought an Easy Quilter 3.1 and Track System a few years ago at a Quilt Show. It looked so smooth at her demonstration. I didn't like all the set up, needing so much extra fabric for the backing. I used it once. I've gotten much better at fmq on my Viking Sapphire that I don't need it. If I ever do make the jump up, I'd probably get a Handi Quilter. I also got The Binding Tool, which I always have to look up the video on how to use it. I've since found an easier way to do it and no longer need than tool.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have lots of quilting items I have never used but I don't regret buying them. I can buy fabric anytime but the tools may be discontinued or go higher in price by the time I do want to use them.

The erasers working as good as the Pinmoors? They don't for me, they fall off the pin with any handling of the quilt at all. The Pinmoors stay on until I pull them off. I learned not to waste money buying things that work just as good, the real items work as they are suppose to and last longer.
    I agree with you about the pinmoors! There's no comparison between them and pencil erasers...the erasers are hard to push onto the pin and they fall off as you handle the quilt. I'm a big pinmoor fan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    the fabric calculator...I never use it.
    I got mine half off and thought for a long time it was a mistake. But, last year when I was trying to get my grandkids quilts finished and I was having to adjust the size of the blocks to make them the way I wanted, I learned to use it and I use it all the time now. I know you can figure it out on a regular calculator, but it is easier on the Fabric Calculator. I really like it so my regret turned into love it after learning to use it.

I also had the 9" throat machine on a frame and it was a wonderful learning experience, I still have the machine and I piece on it a lot. I now have a FQ on my frame but do not regret the smaller machine to start.

What I do regret are the rotary blade sharpeners, I have several and none of them work very well. Oh well, we live and learn. Its easier to just buy new blades.
    -Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy -and- sorrow, stitched with love- http://spudgrandma.wordpress.com/

"But if someone snuck into my house during the night and stole 3/4 of my rulers, I wouldn't miss them ever."

Hmmm, what small town in Oregon was that again? Just askin'.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I'm not sure what the name was, but about a year after I started quilting, I invested in the AccuQuilt or AccuCut or something for my birthday. It was basically a cutting board and that's all I used it for. A $180 dollar cutting mat. I'm sure it had some wonderful uses, but I never learned them. I sold it for maybe $20 at a quilter's yardsale and the woman who bought it was so tickled to get it. She knew how much a new one would cost. Also, the bobbin winder. It's supposed to save you from having to unthread your machine to fill a bobbin, but I always needed the thread that was on the machine to fill the bobbin, so ended up unthreading it anyway.

miniature iron,I bought it to iron butcher paper to fabric for my applique, doesn't get hot enough to iron anything, total waste, but it's so cute!

One more thing, my daughter gave me a pair of scissor with a laser to cut a straight line. never use, I rather use a rotary cutter and a ruler, but I appreciate the thought!

I bought a machine foot for curved piecing and book at a quilt show (did that make sense? It's a fancy foot that's supposed to make curved piecing a breeze.) The demo made it look terrific. I'm not actually sure it was a waste of money. I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. Despite the great demo, curved piecing has always scared me off.

I never use mine either..grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Blog Entries
    I bought one of those at a Paducah show a couple of years ago (the curved piecing tool) and haven't even taken it out of the bag I brought it home in. My mind just simply won't take it in enough to make my hands work it. To me, making those curved seams is on the same principle as putting in a "set-in sleeve" in a dress, and I have done that all my sewing life. I don't know why that didn't occur to me at the time of that demonstration. I guess it was just a matter of having more money than sense that day......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    What really bothers me is when I'm signed up for a class and there is a list of items that are required. I have the stupid "add-a-quarter" and the "purple thang" purchased for a paper-piecing class and they weren't even used in the class!
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHH I"m taking a paper piecing class in Feb and just bought the add-a-quarter ruler for that! I already have a purple thang and I love it. So ... hmmmmmmmmmm. Paid for the class, bought the fabric, paid big money for the pattern and then bought supplies I'll Never USE???? Oh grrrrrr.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    Yup..got a few of those myself!!
    Oh yes! I've got rulers, stencils, patterns, books, fabrics, marking pencils of all sorts...and that's just to name a few.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I also love my add a quarter ruler!

Amen to the Simplicity cutter - it doesn't even MARK a crease, let alone CUT!

Pinmoors. Definitely. They are bulky, fall off (yep, I push them on pretty good, but some still manage to fall off as I maneuver the quilt), my cats LOVE them, so it was a constant struggle to keep them away from them - plus given any chance at all, they'd pull them right off my quilt) and they are expensive! Oh well, live and learn . . .

Crafty Gemini has a great video for using the Curve Master foot if any of you have bought it and don't use it. I would love to get one someday because I watched her video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN91YJkpJR8

Some specialty threads.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    Definitely the rulers!! I'm still using the very first ruler I bought for the beginning quilting class 35 years ago! Lol

Dix
    Blog Entries
    My sweet hubby is always buying me stuff. He will ask our favorite quilt shop owner if I have one of whatever it is, and if I don't, he buys it. I have a binding tool, I have never even opened and so many gadgets I can not count. But, he also buys me good things, so I will keep him around!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast