Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What Was I Thinking!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    the fabric calculator...I never use it.
    Me too! I have EQ7, so the Fabri-Calc is not necessary. Wish I had spent the $40 on fabric. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    My long arm table with a 9 in throat machine. It is useless and takes up all the room in my sewing room. Now I have to wait forever to afford at least an 18 in machine.
    Yep! Sold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Crafty Gemini has a great video for using the Curve Master foot if any of you have bought it and don't use it. I would love to get one someday because I watched her video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN91YJkpJR8
    Thanks for posting this link. I have one that I purchased several years ago and I haven't used it. Curves still scare me to death! lol I'll have to dig it out and give it a try.

I have a ton of books...I didn't really get them for the patterns, but just enjoy looking through them. For inspiration. But seldom do that now. Would love to have half the money spent on them, though I really don't have a lot compared to some.

The dumbest thing I ever bought was when the first mat/turntables (?) came out. I just had to have one. Well, it was oblong, and wobbled...I don't think I used it over once or twice. It is just as easy to have a smaller mat and turn it around. And takes up less space.

Also have one of the Jodi Barrows rulers and one book...I have experimented a little, but again, basically a complete waste of time.

Hi, quite a few, seduced by all that was on offer,much later realised most of them not really needed.I tried to pass on this advice to those I introduced to our craft, -----still get drawn in to new thing sometimes though. Love Letty

Blog Entries
    Hey quilters - if you have a June Taylor Dresden Express 12 ruler that you aren't using and never will -- I would love to buy it from you! Just let me know! Thanks Granny in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have lots of quilting items I have never used but I don't regret buying them. I can buy fabric anytime but the tools may be discontinued or go higher in price by the time I do want to use them.

I learned not to waste money buying things that work just as good, the real items work as they are suppose to and last longer.
    I have too, my husband doesn't like when I "cheap out" on my hobby. It ends up costing more in the long run.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I regret buying this red round hoop thingy that is supposed to give you better control over fabric movement while free motion quilting. Never use it. Have to take the foot off to get it in position. What a waste.

Me either. I have never taken mine out of the box.

I am in the fabric calc rhelm. I keep saying I am going to get the book out and really learn it. NOT bad choice

Quick tip for loosing small tools that you use a lot. put some TACKY(its like putty) on the side of your machine and stick your THANG or seam ripper to it - - then its always handy.
    Toodie

Yup, Same here, I don't use mine either
    SoniSew

Blog Entries
    I agree with maryb119 the fabric calculator - I have never learned to use it and it just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    I bought a machine foot for curved piecing and book at a quilt show (did that make sense? It's a fancy foot that's supposed to make curved piecing a breeze.) The demo made it look terrific. I'm not actually sure it was a waste of money. I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. Despite the great demo, curved piecing has always scared me off.
    I bought one of these and haven't used it yet, that was several years ago. Hmmm, I wonder where it is?
    Jean in MI

I was making a table topper with my sewing group and needed a twelve inch 60 degree ruler. That ruler cost between
    $25 and $30. For one item? I don't think so. I bought a six inch one and added some Mylar at the end to equal the
    twelve inches. Even the six inch one was about $15, but I have seen more patterns with the six inch ruler than the twelve.

Quote Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
    Various Triangle rulers. Whenever I didn't get my HSTs finishing the rigth size I'd try a different ruler to cut the triangles. NOW I know the problem always was my 1/4 seam allowance and not the cutting. Well, now if I get bored with one I can use another. I get my seam allowances accurate nowadays.
    I went thru the same phase w/ the flying goose rulers! Couldn't get my geese to come out right too small, too much waste,etc. Now use Bonnie Hunters method & like the story goes "It's just right" (for me). Have 3 or 4 geese rulers.

for me....I have WAY TOO MANY BOOKS!!!! But Connecting Threads has a couple on sale right now that I really want. I already have a bookshelf that is full and ready to collapse. Rulers come in at a close second....some I don't even know what you use them for now.

I recently was in a LQS and noticed a different brand of rotary blades that were much cheaper than Olfa, I think $3. Not only did I give it a try, but because they were so cheap I bought two of them. I got a bargain on the blades, but it didn't even cut one layer of fabric nicely. I took a closer look and realized they are for cutting paper. I feel dumb that I bought two of them when I should have just got one to try. I'm now waiting for my harbor freight blades to be delivered.
    ~hannajo~
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3