Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-if-our-flour-sugar-cornmeal-etc-t156618.html)

olebat 09-29-2011 03:43 AM

Interesting you should bring this up. Just this weekend I un-earthed some heirloom quilt tops, hand pieced by my great grandmother in-law. One of them, a Dresden Wheel, was appliqued to pieced flower sacks. As I showed it to my husband, we mused about why that kind of sack is no longer popular.

Deborah12687 09-29-2011 04:15 AM

I remember when potatoes came in burlap bags and my Mom would make rugs out of them. Now they come in plastic bags and the potatoes don't last as long in the plastic because they sweat to much.

Annaleehunter 09-29-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
What if our flour, sugar, corn meal, baking mixes, etc....
CAME IN A CLOTH SACK again!?!?!?
Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL!?!?!?
I keep thinking this and excuse me if someone has already brought it up here, I'm still new and can't possibly get through all the posts AND SEW!~:)
What if we all wrote and bombarded them with requests? Would it make a difference? I would CERTAINLY buy that product, as long as it was a quality product. However, if it was a quality product, then all the more reason for packaging it nicely and in an appealing manner.
I'm so surprised with all the "green" and whatever going on... that nobody has done this. We quilters are a HUGE group of consumers~!!!!
Besides us, there are all these backyard chicken farmers, hobby farmers,etc. that would love their feed in cloth also.
What do you think?

Not long ago I saw flour in sacks at Sam's.

Dodie 09-29-2011 04:55 AM

I just don't understand this "green" stuff they want you to buy fabric bags in the store to carry your groceries or whatever out but go down the isle and buy plastic garbage bags and everything else in plastic containers people use to really be "green" mild, soda, canned goods all kinds of stuff came in glass returnable bottles there was no plastic for the garbage and not until all this other stuff changes why worry about "green"

mcpatches 09-29-2011 05:07 AM

If everything came in cloth sacks, I'd have to spend more time cooking to empty them out and less time sewing! I keep telling hubby the only place cooking and cleaning come before quilting is in the dictionary!

scrapbeagle 09-29-2011 05:31 AM

[quote=Cosy]

Originally Posted by RenaB
I wish A LOT of things would go back to "how it use to be"! I use to love going to the gas station and watching the full service guy pump the gas, check under the hood, etc.quote]

When our family ( maybe about 1958 or so), went on a car trip one weekend, we stopped at a gas station that had maybe a dozen or more pumps. Several men in white! uniforms came running out. One asked Dad( the driver) how they could help, and said soda and snacks were available inside, and we were welcome to use the clean restrooms. Another had opened the hood, and was checking fluid levels. Two men were washing windows, another checked the tires. The tank was filled, we were asked not only if they could do anthing else, but was everything done to our satisfaction. Only then, the bill was presented with thanks. Now, that was service. Memories.
One of our local grocers carries flour in sacks still. a couple of dollars more than paper sacks.

I can remember when you actually got "Service" at a service station. That was back when gas was .25 cents a gallon (my dad received a discount because he worked for one of the major oil companies!). Buying food in cloth bags would be wonderful. I wonder about coffee? Seems I have seen beans in cloth bags being loaded on/off ships along the Mississippi River - or I could be longing for simpler times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

AprilG 09-29-2011 05:32 AM

Having worked in food services at one time, the idea of fabric flour, feed, sugar, etc sacks was scrapped for many reasons. Mainly cost! But, also for sanitary reasons and becuse bugs get into the sacks easier than the heavy paper. I sincerely doubt that flour packed in sacks will come back. But, I think that there are a few companies that still make "fake" flour sacks. I remember seeing them once, but don't ask me where. My Part-heimers (as opposed to Altheimers) kicks in too often.

Quilt Mom 09-29-2011 05:44 AM

We can get flour in fabric sacks. There is a great difference in price, so most would not buy it, I am guessing. It's that other 'green' thing coming into play.

Editted to add: The bar codes are printed on a paper label that can be soaked off.

Caswews 09-29-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
Remember when you could get a glass inside a box of detergent? Or even at the gas station for a fill up? How about those trading stamps that you could trade in for household goods? Yes, I'm really that old.

S & H Green stamps !!! I remember those along with the glass or towel in a box of detergent. How about the dinosaurs at the Sinclair gas stations-the ones with the big green dinosaur in front of it !(I remember it was a treat to go out of town and get those dinosaurs!)

thepolyparrot 09-29-2011 06:08 AM

We had Blue Chip trading stamps, too - some stores gave out one type and some, the other, so some people were loyal to one store or the other as much as for the type of stamps as anything else. :)