Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of quilts do you like to make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-quilts-do-you-like-make-t140219.html)

BigDog 07-25-2011 02:55 PM

Pleasing to the eye has nothing to do with how difficult or different the pattern might be, imo. I detest messy quilts with all kinds of shapes, fabrics, and colors. I much prefer simple design with corresponding colors and fabrics. I don't want to throw something onto my bed and have it look like the dog puked.

But that's just me.

maine ladybug 07-25-2011 03:02 PM

Sue, I'm with you. I get tired of seeing the same patterns over again. I often make my own for that reason. But patterns do serve a purpose and many times they give us a place to start from. Just keep making new ones and I'm sure they will be just what someone is looking for.

sarahrachel 07-25-2011 03:04 PM

I like quilts that take a traditional block, like a nine patch, and put it into a more modern quilt. But right now, I'm trying to stick to easy quilts as I'm just starting

loves_2_quilt 07-25-2011 03:05 PM

I like traditional patterns best.

blueangel 07-25-2011 03:31 PM

Ditto

nance-ell 07-25-2011 03:35 PM

I'm fairly new to quilting, but I've said repeatedly to my quilter friend at work that there are just so many ways you can make a block and I keep seeing the same things over and over. So, I understand completely what you are saying. Making a square in a square a few inches bigger than the last person doesn't make it a new design. With that said, I also see wonderful and inventive quilts that look fresh and new. What makes an original? I guess someone to call it original! lol. Keep designing and enjoy the process.

seamstome 07-25-2011 03:37 PM

I dont buy magazines but I understand what you are saying after just looking at a few of them.

Personally I like doing things that look different but that's me.

Glassquilt 07-25-2011 04:18 PM

I agree. I find much more variety surfing.
I will have to say though that I very much enjoy the quilt shows that guilds do. In particular the section done by the members that is same quilt pattern over & over with different visions.

RkayD 07-25-2011 04:24 PM

Honestly...how many ways can you actually rotate a triangle and make something no one has seen before? I agree with you. That's why I end up doing my own thing most of the time. To me the new stuff coming out is more about the fabric and color placement than the patterns themselves. I have alot of older quilt books and magazines and while the techniques have changed the patterns themselves have not.

larkspurlanedesigns 07-25-2011 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the kind of quilt I like to design. I don't use any traditional blocks when I design since I don't think I would enjoy making half square triangles, square in a square or Ohio Stars over and over again but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it.