Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of quilts do you like to make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-quilts-do-you-like-make-t140219.html)

meanmom 07-26-2011 04:58 AM

I am looking for something unique too. I have a hard time designing my own quilts. Not sure my brain works that way. I agree a lot of the patterns are just a twist of the old patterns. I take a design and change it. Do you have software that you use to design your quilts? I think this is what I need. Love your quilt you posted do you sell the pattern? My favorite magazine is Austrailian Patchwork and quilting. It has lots of free patterns and things you just don't see around here. It is kinda expensive with the shipping. My subscription comes thru Canada and it makes it cheaper.

larkspurlanedesigns 07-26-2011 05:08 AM

I use Quilt Pro to design my quilts. Its a little cheaper than Electric Quilt and does everything I need it to do. I am still working on the pattern for that design. Its called Carson's Star, named after my son. Its paper pieced and pretty easy even though it looks pretty involved. You can follow my blog or get on my mailing list if you'd like by clicking on the links under my post.

Thanks!
Sue

Originally Posted by meanmom
I am looking for something unique too. I have a hard time designing my own quilts. Not sure my brain works that way. I agree a lot of the patterns are just a twist of the old patterns. I take a design and change it. Do you have software that you use to design your quilts? I think this is what I need. Love your quilt you posted do you sell the pattern? My favorite magazine is Austrailian Patchwork and quilting. It has lots of free patterns and things you just don't see around here. It is kinda expensive with the shipping. My subscription comes thru Canada and it makes it cheaper.

susie-susie-susie 07-26-2011 05:08 AM

I don't want to design anything--too lazy I guess, but I don't want to make the simple, quick to sew designs. The more complicated the better. So keep up the good work for the rest of us!! Will be checking your blog later. That quilt design you did is beautiful.
Sue

larkspurlanedesigns 07-26-2011 05:15 AM

Thanks Susie!

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I don't want to design anything--too lazy I guess, but I don't want to make the simple, quick to sew designs. The more complicated the better. So keep up the good work for the rest of us!! Will be checking your blog later. That quilt design you did is beautiful.
Sue

Judi in Ohio 07-26-2011 05:21 AM

I really like scrappy quilts and I made log cabins. I cannot use 3 or 4 fabrics-just can't do it. Bores me stiff, everything my eye goes to is scrappy. Then I found Bonnie Hunter and her site Quiltville - it has changed my life. Her mysteries have challenged me and made me expand. I've done quilts I can't believe I'd attempt, but they turned out great. Most of my quilts are 2 blocks, with a main design and secondary design - the color combo's really make a difference. And you can arrange the blocks in different ways - for instance. bonnie's mystery last year was called Carolina Christmas in christmas colors - I made Camryn's Christmas in purple, teal & pink and arranged the blocks differently - someone on Qville came up with this layout.
So put me down as scrappy, scrappy, & really scrappy.
Judi
my shades of green was on Amy S's site, I asked to do it - I've made two. Old Tobacco Road was a Bonnie mystery that I did not like til she put the borders on - it's one of my fav's.

Judi in Ohio 07-26-2011 05:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I really like scrappy quilts and I made log cabins. I cannot use 3 or 4 fabrics-just can't do it. Bores me stiff, everything my eye goes to is scrappy. Then I found Bonnie Hunter and her site Quiltville - it has changed my life. Her mysteries have challenged me and made me expand. I've done quilts I can't believe I'd attempt, but they turned out great. Most of my quilts are 2 blocks, with a main design and secondary design - the color combo's really make a difference. And you can arrange the blocks in different ways - for instance. bonnie's mystery last year was called Carolina Christmas in christmas colors - I made Camryn's Christmas in purple, teal & pink and arranged the blocks differently - someone on Qville came up with this layout.
Judi
my shades of green was on Amy S's site, I asked to do it - I've made two. Old Tobacco Road was a Bonnie mystery that I did not like til she put the borders on - it's one of my fav's.

camryn's christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231873[/ATTACH]

shades of green
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231874[/ATTACH]

Old tobacco Road
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231875[/ATTACH]

lillybeck 07-26-2011 05:25 AM

I make what appeals to me at the time. I do not do well with small and very difficult piecing but I love to make a one of a kind even if it is a pattern I have used over and over again. We are artists and use our talents in many ways. When you give ten children a picture of an apple to color do you give them one red crayon or do you give them a whold box and let them design their own apple from the same pattern?

larkspurlanedesigns 07-26-2011 05:26 AM

Beautiful!!!

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
Judi

clsurz 07-26-2011 05:38 AM

My own one of a kind. I'm not much into following someone else's patterns.

I prefer to just create something I see in my mind.

It's not saying I don't or probably would never use a pattern of some sort. I do if the guild is making a project together for charity quilts and such.

I lean more into creating a story telling type quilt/blanket/wall hanging and such.

clsurz 07-26-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by shelby sue
I am stretching into applique. I like the look of some piece work w/ some applique. It seems doable. Applique scares me. How to do it, can I wash it?? Or eve, embroidery in a "regular" quilt.
Yep, that's my take.
Sue

I'm more in tune with applique than I am in piecing and there is nothing to be afraid off. For me applique is a whole lot easier than cutting a piece of fabric into a million pieces and sewing it back together and hope it will match up.

Personally I don't much care for traditional/contemporary quilting and probably will never complete one of those but do love to create something that tells a story when you look at it you know what it is saying.

What's nice about fabrics is that you can create whatever you want to with it no matter if you are following a cookie cutter type block pattern or create your own.

There is no right or wrong in anyway you do it as long as you are happy with the results.