Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What machine to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-buy-t293461.html)

ScubaK 12-20-2017 07:26 PM

What machine to buy?

In light of the recent machine problems...and the need for a back up machine for piecing.

What do you use?

I don't want a vintage or a FW.

I don't "need" an embroidery unit nor do I need the top of line 16,000$ machine.

I like a good stitch, a buttonholer, an easy zipper foot, a thread cutter, great lighting and ease of use.

I don't need a thousand million stitches. Good in theory, poor in practice.

Let me know what you like and use.

Kirsten

quiltingshorttimer 12-20-2017 09:26 PM

I got a lightweight, computerized Brother Simplicity that was about $300 and works great.

zozee 12-20-2017 09:46 PM

Janome 8200. Love it.

Maia B 12-20-2017 10:05 PM

How about a Pfaff Passport 3.0? IDT for piecing, autocut, lightweight/portable. Local dealer has them at $499.

It's a small machine, so it wouldn't be suitable for FMQing anything large, but I think it would be a dream for piecing.

CurliQ 12-20-2017 10:41 PM

I too am not one for all the bells and whistles that come with different stitches (oh goodness, red balloon, I'll never get anything done LOL) . I was looking for a machine I could quilt with but a mid-arm seemed like a huge investment just to quilt. I went with a Babylock Jane. She's only a straight stitcher but she has all the feet for whatever you want. She has a great throat space in which I can quilt a queen size. Of course the feet drop for FMQ. She was 1000.00 new.

Hopefully there is a sewing machine store nearby where you can try the machines out.

JustAbitCrazy 12-20-2017 11:42 PM

I won't piece without a built in walking foot/top feed dogs. So my machine is a Babylock Serenade (love it, lots of features like knee lift for presser foot and hands free appliqueing, thread cutter). This machine is large, not one to pack up for classes, etc. My backup machine is an older Pfaff Tiptronic, which has the built in walking foot/upper feed dogs, just no knee lifter for presser foot or thread cutter. It's a smaller machine, easier to move around.

Onebyone 12-21-2017 06:25 AM

I have sewn on Eversewn Sparrow 30. It is fantastic. And is about $600 or less. It has all the features in high end machines. This will be my next new machine. I have a Bernina, Janome, Brother, vintage Singers, so I know how to compare machines.

maminstl 12-21-2017 06:34 AM

I have machine lust over that Eversewn Sparrow - the light pink one. I need another sewing machine like I need a hole in the head, but one of these days.....

ArlaJo 12-21-2017 07:12 AM

I have a Viking Emerald 116 that I bought for just that purpose Under $500. and it works great.

fruitloop 12-21-2017 08:03 AM

I have the Eversewn sparrow 30. I love it. I bought it from a quilt shop but it's a little cheaper on Amazon. You don't need lessons or anything so I would buy it from Amazon unless a quilt shop near you has it. I read up on Eversewn and was very surprised it is made using the same engineering as Bernina as one of the family owners of Bernina is manufacturing them.