Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What machine to buy?

What machine to buy?

In light of the recent machine problems...and the need for a back up machine for piecing.

What do you use?

I don't want a vintage or a FW.

I don't "need" an embroidery unit nor do I need the top of line 16,000$ machine.

I like a good stitch, a buttonholer, an easy zipper foot, a thread cutter, great lighting and ease of use.

I don't need a thousand million stitches. Good in theory, poor in practice.

Let me know what you like and use.

Kirsten

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got a lightweight, computerized Brother Simplicity that was about $300 and works great.

Janome 8200. Love it.

How about a Pfaff Passport 3.0? IDT for piecing, autocut, lightweight/portable. Local dealer has them at $499.

It's a small machine, so it wouldn't be suitable for FMQing anything large, but I think it would be a dream for piecing.
    Warmly, Maia

I too am not one for all the bells and whistles that come with different stitches (oh goodness, red balloon, I'll never get anything done LOL) . I was looking for a machine I could quilt with but a mid-arm seemed like a huge investment just to quilt. I went with a Babylock Jane. She's only a straight stitcher but she has all the feet for whatever you want. She has a great throat space in which I can quilt a queen size. Of course the feet drop for FMQ. She was 1000.00 new.

Hopefully there is a sewing machine store nearby where you can try the machines out.
    ~Sharon

I won't piece without a built in walking foot/top feed dogs. So my machine is a Babylock Serenade (love it, lots of features like knee lift for presser foot and hands free appliqueing, thread cutter). This machine is large, not one to pack up for classes, etc. My backup machine is an older Pfaff Tiptronic, which has the built in walking foot/upper feed dogs, just no knee lifter for presser foot or thread cutter. It's a smaller machine, easier to move around.

I have sewn on Eversewn Sparrow 30. It is fantastic. And is about $600 or less. It has all the features in high end machines. This will be my next new machine. I have a Bernina, Janome, Brother, vintage Singers, so I know how to compare machines.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have machine lust over that Eversewn Sparrow - the light pink one. I need another sewing machine like I need a hole in the head, but one of these days.....

I have a Viking Emerald 116 that I bought for just that purpose Under $500. and it works great.
    So much fabric, so little time.

I have the Eversewn sparrow 30. I love it. I bought it from a quilt shop but it's a little cheaper on Amazon. You don't need lessons or anything so I would buy it from Amazon unless a quilt shop near you has it. I read up on Eversewn and was very surprised it is made using the same engineering as Bernina as one of the family owners of Bernina is manufacturing them.

Oh it's $399 on Amazon now! I may just buy another one. LOL

I also have the Eversewn Sparrow 30. Nice machine. fruitloop is correct, it's from the Bernina family, and it's lightweight for taking to classes.
    Sue

If I were you I'd go to the nearest sewing machine dealer(s).
    Tell them what features you want and how much you want to spend
    then test drive as many as you can.
    BTW, the latest Janomes have great lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    I also have the Eversewn Sparrow 30. Nice machine. fruitloop is correct, it's from the Bernina family, and it's lightweight for taking to classes.
    I'm going to look into this one. I've been considering buying a "travel" machine and to have an inexpensive backup when my Babylock's in the shop.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I have a Brother SQ9000. It is 8 years old and has never been in for servicing. Jim oiled it for me about 9 months ago. $199. at Walmart. I'm very happy.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I love my Elna Excellence 720 but I also liked the Viking Emerald I tried. I always recommend purchasing a machine from a nearby dealer and getting the most machine your $$ can buy, whatever that might be. It is nice to have a back up machine and, if I didn't have an elderly Viking 100, I would get a FW for that purpose.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I really like my little Brother for piecing and traveling. Have used it for 12 years in my RV, do not use it at home, the Vikings reign supreme there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I have the Eversewn sparrow 30. I love it. I bought it from a quilt shop but it's a little cheaper on Amazon. You don't need lessons or anything so I would buy it from Amazon unless a quilt shop near you has it. I read up on Eversewn and was very surprised it is made using the same engineering as Bernina as one of the family owners of Bernina is manufacturing them.
    I have heard raves about this one, too. If I didn’t already have 4 machines, I’d do a trial run on one of these. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I got a lightweight, computerized Brother Simplicity that was about $300 and works great.
    Yeah I have a lightweight brother for piecing too. It never gives me any problems and it was under $300.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I have an Eversewn 25 and absolutely love it!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I started with a Brother from Walmart! I still use that machine but have another Brother Qc1000 which I really love!! Sometimes they are both in use!
    I've never had to repair either machine! Have had them 16 years!