Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

When you see a fabric that you really like, but don't have a specific project for yet, how much do you buy? (just an average priced fabric, no big bargain..) Recently I have found a few fabrics that I love, and bought like 2 or 2.5 yards. Then afterward I think, what if I pick a project that requires 3 or 5 yards? I would be really bummed to buy too little, but can't buy tons of all the ones I love! I'd have to move into a cardboard box under the bridge!

Blog Entries
    If I really love it and it is a GREAT price 2-3 yards, otherwise 1 yard :lol:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Depends on whether or not I need the cash in my wallet for something else. But if I can I try to buy 3 yds if it's something I really like, can't live without.

I find that I often like a whole collection, so it is really hard to get more than 1 yard of each fabric. However, in an ideal world, I would love to be able to get at least three yards of each.

I am going in with the rest, three yards seems to have/leave the most options for later uses.

Blog Entries
    3+ yards for me... otherwise 1-2yds :D:D:D

3 yds unless I am planning a stack n whack.

3+ yards for me also

Blog Entries
    ...and a lot should depend on how much space you have for storage. (OMG - I can't believe I am writing from a viewpoint of reason - aaarrrgghhh!) I have a room that is FULL and becoming useless.

That said, between 1 and 3 yards unless it is for a backing, then I go 5. (and now you know why my room is FULL) lol

I usually end up buying enough to make the piece square. So for 45" fabric, I get 1.25 yards. However, there are some fabrics I use over again. If this happens, I will often get a bolt with a 50% off coupon. Currently I have about 6 of these.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    3+ yards for me... otherwise 1-2yds :D:D:D
    Same here!! :thumbup: If its a material that I can visualize blocks and border with, 3 yds.

3 yards... all leftovers are stash :)

When it't the main fabric for a quilt, I try to get 3 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellern76
    When you see a fabric that you really like, but don't have a specific project for yet, how much do you buy? (just an average priced fabric, no big bargain..) Recently I have found a few fabrics that I love, and bought like 2 or 2.5 yards. Then afterward I think, what if I pick a project that requires 3 or 5 yards? I would be really bummed to buy too little, but can't buy tons of all the ones I love! I'd have to move into a cardboard box under the bridge!

I try to go for 3 yards unless I can visualize it as a backing then I go 6.
    Hugs
    April

If I really, REALLY like it, then I'll get 5-6 yards. If I just really like it, then 3 yards. If I just like it, then 1 yard. I've gotten to where I don't buy less than a yard of anything.

Blog Entries
    i use the Eddie system. :lol:

Just depends on the fabric, if I have the extra money, and I am to the point where I ask myself if I really need it or will it sit and look pretty.

i buy 3 yards or more depending on how much i love it and the price.

3 yards, unless it is a really really good buy, great fabric and I really love it and then I will buy the rest of the bolt!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What's with the 3 yards? GUess you have patterns you do that you know take that much. I usually buy 2-3 if on sale and at least one yard if not just so I have some. Then again, the fabric I am selling on here comes in 1 yd, 1-1/2 yd and 2 yds pieces mostly. SO guess that's my answer...and I'm stickin' to it. LOL

I have stopped impulse buying. I only buy for whatever project I have in mind at the time. There are so many that I really love, but know if I pass it buy, I'll find something else down the road that I really love. I have way too much in my stash that I couldn't live without. It was hard to "change my ways" but I'm glad I did. Now, when I start a new project, I head to my stash, and if I need something to go with it, will go shopping.

Like-like: 1-3 yds. LOVE: 6 yds.

A possible project always comes to mind when I look at fabric. So, I guess I'm really like-liking or loving the imaginary project.

If I like an entire line, I'll purchase a minimum of one yard of each fabric in the line rather than a fat quarter bundle.

Depending on what I think I will use it for 1 FQ up to 1/2 yard if I want just a little to add to scrappy quilts, 1 1/4 yard for borders and 4 yards for lap quilt backing or 6 yards for twin backing.

I always buy atleast 1 FQ or 1/2 yard. I do not get 1/4 or 1/3 yard cuts as I find people do not cut straight and it is not as usuable. With 1/2 yard cut I can use 1 FQ and have one FQ left instead of a remnant.

I have been buying way more 1 1/4 yard pieces for borders as I have a real good foundation in FQs and for backings I tend to buy sales as it is such large quantity.

If I love it 2 yards. If I like it 1 yard.

I rarely buy fat quarters anymore. One yard is usually the smallest I purchase, unless I absolutely love it, and then I will get 2-3. Also depends on whether it is on sale. I tend to buy more when it is a sale item. I have been upset too many times when I don't have enough fabric for a project, and it has been discontinued, or you just can't find it anywhere!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast