Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy? >

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM

thanks Annya, I will take your advice and wash it all but as you say in stages. I was thinking of cutting the big roll into 3 mtr lengths to make it easier to handle. It is an aqua blue green and I think it will be ideal for the backing, as I am on a pension I try to make every dollar go as far as possible hence buying so much at such a good price,
Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM

This is a scary question. I think I end up in the same catigory as Martina I have bouth anywhere from 1 yard to a bolt if I really love the fabric. Also I have bought muslin or a plain fabric to use as the back ground for embroidered blocks.
So I'm guilty of a very large stash of all different amounts.
kjym Kathy
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 AM

Patchworking is certainly addictive isn't it. And much healthier than most other addictions.

Keep quilting,
regards,
Penny
Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM

What a fabulous idea- the bolt is easier to store and find when you are looking for it.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Normally just a yard and a half-this way I know at least I can make placemats from it if it does't make it into a project. But If I really love it, at the moment I think up something to do with it and buy accordingly. :thumbup:
Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by litacats
Wow where do I start. I have only just started quilting so I have no idea how much of anything I would need, but oh boy did I do well one day, I went to buy some new clothes as hubby had left our travel bag in the middle of the kitchen floor and we were 7 hours from home, so of we went and on the way I saw a shop just a little shop not even set up just boxes and tables full of scrapbooking ribbons lace and guess what bolts of quilting material, I hadn't even made my first quilt but oh boy I bought 2 of this and 2 of that and 5 of wool batting and the list goes on, I spent more there than I did on 2 new outfits of clothes for my husband and myself. then a week later I called into one of my favourite fabric stores to buy some backing material and I went to the $2.00 table. bought what I wanted from there and next the salesperson said what about the $1.00 table so of I went to look I bought a whole roll I don't even know how much is on it as she gave me such a good price I could'nt leave it there could I I would guess at 20 mtrs for $15.00 and it didn't stop there now my card crafting room has been taken over material, the spare bedroom has become my quilting room, look out mum what can I put in your room. oh dear me get a grip on yourself girl.
litacats
Litacats Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 AM

I was told once (and I follow it) if I like it - 2 yds, really like it - 3 yds, love it 5 yds, can't do without it - the bolt.
I usually buy 5 yds if for a stack-and-whack with some for borders.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 AM

I buy basically just what the budget can stand at the moment but never less than a yard.