Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy? >

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM

I think i prolly have more ufo's than what i've seen on this page & several quilts to be started & my sewing room looks like a hoarder's room. However, going to a quilt shop is like heaven to me. some love jewelry i love fabric & all the beautiful colors & patterns etc
Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

I generally buy 3 yards. If its a solid I might buy 5 yards as I know I will use it in multiple projects.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM

i like the number 5 !!! if i really like the material i will buy 5 yards that way i make sure i have enough to use it in maybe 2 quilts or add to my stash
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

One yard
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

3 YDS
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by pennykasteel
I think I must be the impulse queen having read all your comments. I usually buy what is left on the roll. My worse impulse buy was in a small country town when I went into a fabric shop that was closing down. We were going to be back through there in a week & I asked if they would still be open. She said she hoped not, all she had to do was sell all her stock & then she would close. I offered a price for the lot! Luckily we have a large station wagon!!!My poor husband muttered all the way to our holiday destination & home again.
LOL! That's it...you ARE the reigning stash queen! (all bow) (he-he-he!)
Actually, anyone familiar with Hancocks Fabric Stores? Started stashing back in 70's in high school (worked there, & multiple fabric stores simultaneously...yep, got it bad). THAT store closed a few years ago...and I went back "just one more time to check" FIVE times. Plus, all the rest... As fabric prices continue to rise, I am more and more pleased I did stash. <3 DH <3 has been very supportive...usually. I do watch for sales...or think about it first. (sometimes TOO long, and too late...) So 3 yds unless know want for backing. Definately moving towards less of a particular piece, and a small amount of all it's companion pieces. (before collection disappears)
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 AM

I usually buy 3 metres if I like something but will go to 5 metres if I want to do a big quilt, that is if it's cheap enough for my budget. That way I have plenty to spare. I l9ike going and buying fabric on special or marked down to make room for newer stock.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM

I usually use the unused fabric and make a colorful back. It saves on buying backing fabric and it uses the unwanted or forgotten fabric. I have plastic drawers full (Color coded) and now I am buying coloerd boxes and color code them. That way I know where the color fabric I want is. I'm very organised(nearly).
Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 AM

Wow where do I start. I have only just started quilting so I have no idea how much of anything I would need, but oh boy did I do well one day, I went to buy some new clothes as hubby had left our travel bag in the middle of the kitchen floor and we were 7 hours from home, so of we went and on the way I saw a shop just a little shop not even set up just boxes and tables full of scrapbooking ribbons lace and guess what bolts of quilting material, I hadn't even made my first quilt but oh boy I bought 2 of this and 2 of that and 5 of wool batting and the list goes on, I spent more there than I did on 2 new outfits of clothes for my husband and myself. then a week later I called into one of my favourite fabric stores to buy some backing material and I went to the $2.00 table. bought what I wanted from there and next the salesperson said what about the $1.00 table so of I went to look I bought a whole roll I don't even know how much is on it as she gave me such a good price I could'nt leave it there could I I would guess at 20 mtrs for $15.00 and it didn't stop there now my card crafting room has been taken over material, the spare bedroom has become my quilting room, look out mum what can I put in your room. oh dear me get a grip on yourself girl.
litacats
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 AM

I would suggest you wash it All. But do it in stages or you will be overcome with the idea of it. My line usually is full of everything I bought over a couple of months, unless it is some thing I need right away. Not all people do wash their fabric but I have found when I get a panic attack in the night it is good therapy to iron all the fabric, while my tablet I have just taken takes effect. I do not know why or when they happen but have found I'm not the only one who suffers this complaint. I would not wish it on my worst enemy, so enjoy what you have bought and Welcome to the Quilting Family.