Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy? >

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

how many yds of a fabric do you buy, impulse buy?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM

I have stopped impulse buying. I only buy for whatever project I have in mind at the time. There are so many that I really love, but know if I pass it buy, I'll find something else down the road that I really love. I have way too much in my stash that I couldn't live without. It was hard to "change my ways" but I'm glad I did. Now, when I start a new project, I head to my stash, and if I need something to go with it, will go shopping.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Like-like: 1-3 yds. LOVE: 6 yds.

A possible project always comes to mind when I look at fabric. So, I guess I'm really like-liking or loving the imaginary project.

If I like an entire line, I'll purchase a minimum of one yard of each fabric in the line rather than a fat quarter bundle.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Depending on what I think I will use it for 1 FQ up to 1/2 yard if I want just a little to add to scrappy quilts, 1 1/4 yard for borders and 4 yards for lap quilt backing or 6 yards for twin backing.

I always buy atleast 1 FQ or 1/2 yard. I do not get 1/4 or 1/3 yard cuts as I find people do not cut straight and it is not as usuable. With 1/2 yard cut I can use 1 FQ and have one FQ left instead of a remnant.

I have been buying way more 1 1/4 yard pieces for borders as I have a real good foundation in FQs and for backings I tend to buy sales as it is such large quantity.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

If I love it 2 yards. If I like it 1 yard.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM

I rarely buy fat quarters anymore. One yard is usually the smallest I purchase, unless I absolutely love it, and then I will get 2-3. Also depends on whether it is on sale. I tend to buy more when it is a sale item. I have been upset too many times when I don't have enough fabric for a project, and it has been discontinued, or you just can't find it anywhere!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
3+ yards for me also
I agree
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM

IF I really love, love, love the fabric and can see it as a quilt back I will get 6 yds at least. If I think I will use it for a One Block Wonder or a background for some applique, I get at least 6 repeats or 5-6 yds, if I can afford it. If I just like the print and want to use it in patchwork with other pieces from my stash usually a yard or two satifies that whim. Fat quarters are my weakness though, I really don't have to have a project in mind for them, they are kind of like collecting pennies in a piggy bank. I get them because I want them!
Enjoy the stashing process! Sherry
Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM

It depends on the width of the fabric if it's 60" I usually will get at least 3 yards if it's 45" I'll usually get 5 to 6 yards , especially if it's a good price.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:27 PM

If I am by myself, i get as much as I can sneak in the house! LOL Unfortunately, but fortunately, my hubby goes with me all the time to help pick stuff out (the good part) so he pretty much knows how much it all costs (the bad part). ROFL

But really, if it is something I like i buy as much as I can afford. Always at least a yard if 2 or 3 if I can. Bills and food come first, well most of the time. *giggle giggle*
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I usually buy at least 2 yards of anything that really speaks to me I figure I can get the additional fabrics to complete a project once I decide on one.